Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam NA 5D IV housing with 8.5 Dom positive buoyancy

Started by michaelgeyer ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam NA 5D IV housing with 8.5 Dom positive buoyancy

10 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    im using a Nauticam housing for a Canon 5D IV, flash trigger and 8.5 Nauticam Dome.

    The Lens is a Sigma 15 2.8 Fisheye.

    I have a very positive buoyancy. The camera plops to the surface :)

     

    Do you guys have any idea how i get handle this :)

     

    My 2 Sea&Sea YS-D2 makes it not realy better.... :(

    Edited by michaelgeyer
  2. I have the Ikelite housing with 8" dome port for my 5D lV. I am using a Canon 16-35 F4L lens. I took it for it's first dive in Palau and found it to be very buoyant. I used a couple zip ties to add a two pound weight to the bottom of the housing. While it makes a heavy system even heavier when out of the water, it seemed to really help. I think three pounds might be perfect, but there was no three pound weight available.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. Ok, but ikelite and Nauticam are a little bit different :)

  4. So weights won't work with nauticam? Physics don't change

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  5. sure not, but the ikelite housing is a complete other building/construction/material...you cant compare this two housings...

  6. That is complete , Well you know. If it is too buoyant you either need a smaller port or weights. That doesn't change if your housing is made of gold or balsa wood.

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  7. Put some Z240s on it instead :-) Or metal strobe arms. My Nauticam 5D4 is just about neutral in salt water and negative in fresh.

     

    Or weights. The advantage of adding weight is that you can put it in the right place to balance the housing into the upright position.

  8. Add stick on lead weights which they use to balance the wheels on your car. Fine tune to perfect balance.

     

    Regards Mark

  9. I use the stick on wheel weights on the fisheye dome port on my Sea & Sea, as it floats dome up otherwise. They work great. Just cover the bottom shade ring with them.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.