Hi all. I have an olympus OM-D EM-5 MkII setup in a Nauticam housing, specifically this is with the 60mm lens in Nauticam port. At macro distances with a focus light when needed AF is quit acceptable. I often want to shoot smaller fish as well up to around 200-300mm, which requires backing off and shooting from further back if I want to get the whole fish in the frame. I generally dive around Sydney in temperate waters and the visibility is often not that great with floating snot algae at times and other particulate matter.
The issue I have is that when trying to focus at greater distances, like 0.5 to 1m away the lens/camera often seems to not even attempt to focus. Yes I know I should be closer, but often times you have to take what you can get. I suspect it is locking onto particulates and deciding not to move any further. I've tried various tricks like focusing on my hand and progressively increasing the distance, but that seems hit and miss. I thought I'd try the focus gear, (setting AF to S-AF plus MF) but the slow manual focus speed Olympus has provided for the lens coupled withe slow gearing on housing/gear combo means I need to spin the housing focus/zoom knob 30-60 times to get the system in the ballpark so the AF can take over.
Anyone have any tips to get the camera to re focus at greater distances? Yes I know closer is better, but there are plenty of worthwhile targets in the size range I'm talking about as well as smaller macro stuff. Thanks in advance for any tips......