Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

First E-M1II dive

Started by hyptest ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

First E-M1II dive

1 posts
  1. Just a quick note for anyone interested that I just got my first dive in on a new Nauticam housing for an Olympus E-M1II. I used a 60mm macro lens on a dive in Puget sound. I'm transitioning from a Canon 7dII and an original E-M5 (also nauticam). Only one dive, but I'm impressed so far.

     

    Ergonomics on the housing feel a little more refined than my E-M5 housing (but generally similar). I do miss the tilted screen on the E-M5 but the new mechanism doesn't really allow that within a housing. The settings available on the E-M1II are rather daunting so it'll take me a while to figure out the best settings for various uses..

     

    So far I've experimented with Continuous AF/tracking mode. Previously I'd found any form of C-AF pretty useless on the E-M5, but very nice on the 7D-II for macro. It seems to be quite useable on the E-M1II. In particular, with tracking enabled I found i could skip having to move focus points around in most cases. I just used center point, start focus on the eye, reframe while still half pressed (the tracking would keep the focus point on the eye) and just use a focus/recompose style while getting the macro focus correct. These was a huge time saving when quickly coming on a subject.

     

    I experimented with some photos using strobes (dual YS-01) and some photos just using higher ISO and a single SOLA 1200. Both came out well (surprisingly so for the YS-01). The Eye photo was ISO 6400 with the focus light, and the Prickleback was ISO 5000. For a small sensor camera i was very happy with the output.

     

     

    Somewhat higher res versions on google photos:

    https://goo.gl/photos/eXXd3wga4GpF5Dcz7

     

    Eric

    post-2405-0-41932000-1489466472_thumb.jpg

    post-2405-0-16868300-1489466480_thumb.jpg

    post-2405-0-49342800-1489466489_thumb.jpg

    post-2405-0-95242000-1489466500_thumb.jpg

    Edited by hyptest
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.