Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

mantis shrimp question

Started by waso ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

mantis shrimp question

7 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    doubtlessly this is a boxing mantis shrimp, but which species?

     

    _mg_8162_mantis_shrim3puoz.jpg

     

    _mg_8124_mantis_shrimv9ymk.jpg

     

    It was a bit smaller than Odontodactylus scyllarus (Peacock Mantis Shrimp) - the photos were made at Lembeh.

     

    Does anybody have an idea?

    Thanks in advance!

     

    Cheers,

     

    waso

     

    Edited by waso
  2. Looks a lot like Odontodactylus latirostris (Pink-Eared Mantis)

     

    Beautiful photos - I love the lighting. Were you using a snoot?

  3. Thank you, Brian!

     

    I was already considering Odontodactylus latirostris, but non of the images I found in the www showed such a cyan carapax.

    Do you have a link to pictures, showing this color?

     

    Thanks for the compliment - yes, I was snooting, but sort of a 'wide angle' (selfmade) snoot. ;-)

     

    Cheers,

     

    waso

  4. Nice shot

  5. I agree - very nice shots. I'd love to get some this good.

  6. Thank you, Brian!

     

    I was already considering Odontodactylus latirostris, but non of the images I found in the www showed such a cyan carapax.

    Do you have a link to pictures, showing this color?

     

    Thanks for the compliment - yes, I was snooting, but sort of a 'wide angle' (selfmade) snoot. ;-)

     

    Cheers,

     

    waso

     

    Waso,

     

    Even though the carapce coloring might not exactly match online pics, here is the desc. from Reef Creature Ident. -

    "Size: up to 8cm; Smasher, female antennal scales pink to purplish males red; body mottled greenish brown with reddish highlights; pink and red uropods."

     

    So I think the size, plus the uropods, plus the other description makes it a pretty close match.

  7. Hi Brian,

     

    thanks for your help!

    Your arguments are convincing and I name it Odontodactylus latirostris.

     

    Cheers,

     

    waso

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.