Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Middle aged fat guy gets the gear , now what

Started by rivers ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Middle aged fat guy gets the gear , now what

1 posts
  1. Hello there ,

     

    I'm a 57 year old 270lb strong and fat guy who scuba dives and free dives ( 20 meters , not so deep by local standards ) and swims laps and im a pretty strong guy living in PH .

     

    We have a big wave here an hour flight away that is a reef break and my friend broke his back on that

    reef . Cloud 9 , surrounded by other breaks . I am Florida Panhandle or Kuta Beach type body boarder .

     

    My guess is that I could try getting behind the wave when it is larger or to stay out of the surf when it is larger and I guess my question is that can a guy be careful , is not getting pushed into the reef inevitable

    or is it avoidable . I won't know until i get out there .

     

    Another option is to work with the 70-200 and keep some distance.

     

    My objective is to simply have fun in the water , my idea is though I can't surf I can physically get into the wave .

     

    Kuta on Bali is also an option for me ( us ) , I like

    that place and it is a sand break with the season now approaching there and waning here.

     

    In any case glad to find this forum , my current gear is the D500 , Aquatech Housing , and Tokina 10 -17 fisheye ( no 70 - 200 0 with respective port )

     

    There is a guy in Plato's Republic who says that a brave man is a man who has the knowledge of the things he should be afraid of and of the things he should not worry about.

     

    I guess i'm not sure if I should worry about getting cut up by a reef , if it is avoidable , or if it is simply the price one pays when getting into a reef break

     

    thinking out loud , cheers

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.