Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dilemma: upgrading my Olympus tg-2 for a better compact or go to mirror less?

Started by caolino ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Dilemma: upgrading my Olympus tg-2 for a better compact or go to mirror less?

10 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I'm using compact camera in my diving adventures since 2008 and I like flexibility and weight but not really the quality. During the years I've improved my technic but I'm still not satisfied about the result in natural light.

    I have decided to buy a strobe and I assume I'll get better results but I question if I should change camera to have a bigger sensor and raw possibilities.

    Once I start to consider options the most classic choice is Sony rx 100 V or canon g7x Ii? I shoot.mainly wide but time to time I like macro as well.

    The second dilemma is to question if this a worth step or it's better to go mirrorless and what model and lens.

    Thanks in advance for your help

     

     

    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

  2. I think going to a large sensor compact would be a distinct upgrade to your current Oly rig. I have RX-100M2 in Ikelite housing which a little larger but works fine. I have looked hard at Canon G7X for my dive buddy and think that is a superb camera. Mirrorless maybe better from a system flexibility viewpoint, but more costly and cumbersome. Would be like going from grade school to college skipping high school~

     

    Also take into account the wet lenses that are compatible with both RX and G7X. And the port system with the Canon uses.

  3. I think going to a large sensor compact would be a distinct upgrade to your current Oly rig. I have RX-100M2 in Ikelite housing which a little larger but works fine. I have looked hard at Canon G7X for my dive buddy and think that is a superb camera. Mirrorless maybe better from a system flexibility viewpoint, but more costly and cumbersome. Would be like going from grade school to college skipping high school~

     

    Also take into account the wet lenses that are compatible with both RX and G7X. And the port system with the Canon uses.

    Thanks,

    9276ceaacf8ea21b330adaa5ea5cbfc0.jpg

     

    This is the kind of photo I'd like to improve!

     

     

     

    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

  4. I think going to a large sensor compact would be a distinct upgrade to your current Oly rig. I have RX-100M2 in Ikelite housing which a little larger but works fine. I have looked hard at Canon G7X for my dive buddy and think that is a superb camera. Mirrorless maybe better from a system flexibility viewpoint, but more costly and cumbersome. Would be like going from grade school to college skipping high school~

     

    Also take into account the wet lenses that are compatible with both RX and G7X. And the port system with the Canon uses.

    Would you recommend rx 100 iv or g7x Ii ?

     

     

    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

  5. You said you decided to buy a strobe, have you used it yet?

     

    The rx100 and g7x are more advanced compacts with better manual control and larger sensors for increased dynamic range that will increase your picture quality potential, but I don't think you've maximized the potential of your current camera.

     

    Your shark picture isn't bad but it looks like you were shooting through a decent amount of water and cropped it significantly. How close were you? Also, the deeper you go shooting ambient only the tougher it gets to get good results, how deep was that shot taken?

     

    Both suggested cameras are good, but it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself shooting with a strobe with your current camera before making the move. I think you'd see more improvement learning to use your current camera with strobes vs shooting ambient only with the rx100 or g7x, and you can always move to the new camera in the future and have a strobe for it already.

    Edited by Skeptic14
  6. You said you decided to buy a strobe, have you used it yet?

     

    The rx100 and g7x are more advanced compacts with better manual control and larger sensors for increased dynamic range that will increase your picture quality potential, but I don't think you've maximized the potential of your current camera.

     

    Your shark picture isn't bad but it looks like you were shooting through a decent amount of water and cropped it significantly. How close were you? Also, the deeper you go shooting ambient only the tougher it gets to get good results, how deep was that shot taken?

     

    Both suggested cameras are good, but it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself shooting with a strobe with your current camera before making the move. I think you'd see more improvement learning to use your current camera with strobes vs shooting ambient only with the rx100 or g7x, and you can always move to the new camera in the future and have a strobe for it already.

    Thanks for taking the time to support me in this dilemma.

     

    I didn't use the strobe yet and in April I'll go diving this is the reason why I'm questioning all the system.

     

    I took the shot at 15m of depth and I was around 1-2m from the shark, for me very close with natural light and red filter.

    I don't like the quality of the shot but I understand that iso800 it's tough for that camera hence my question.

     

     

    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

  7. Thanks for taking the time to support me in this dilemma.

     

    I didn't use the strobe yet and in April I'll go diving this is the reason why I'm questioning all the system.

     

    I took the shot at 15m of depth and I was around 1-2m from the shark, for me very close with natural light and red filter.

    I don't like the quality of the shot but I understand that iso800 it's tough for that camera hence my question.

     

     

    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

    I agree with skeptic14. Add a quality (used?) strobe to your current camera.

     

    You have identified that your current unhappiness is related to lack of light (as opposed to some other feature of your camera). You have not identified a problem with your camera. Upgrading to a differetn camera without a strobe will likely give you the same results...

     

    Not that for wide angle or "scenic" shots you will likely need a pair of strobes. I suggest you start with 1 and then re-assess your needs based upon your results.

  8. I agree with skeptic14. Add a quality (used?) strobe to your current camera.

     

    You have identified that your current unhappiness is related to lack of light (as opposed to some other feature of your camera). You have not identified a problem with your camera. Upgrading to a differetn camera without a strobe will likely give you the same results...

     

    Not that for wide angle or "scenic" shots you will likely need a pair of strobes. I suggest you start with 1 and then re-assess your needs based upon your results.

    Thanks, I bought already a strobe but I didn't use yet. The other things I'm. It happy is the missing details of the picture when you soon in looks out of focus or missing sharpness and you can use raw to improve some rendering

     

     

    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

  9. For sharp photos you have to make sure you aren't shooting through a lot of water column. Also, your photos will be sharper with better lighting, as you go deeper and continue to shoot ambient and use a filter you have less light to work with. Adding a strobe(s) and maintaining good proximity should improve how sharp your photos come out.

  10. Hey caolino

     

    Just to add to what the guys are telling you about the improvement you'll get from a strobe....

     

    ...worth bearing in mind, if you've not discovered it already, that using a strobe underwater has nothing like the reach topside. I usually reckon with two Inon Z240 strobes on being able to light up to about 2' in front of me fairly well. After that........

     

    Expectation management..... :pardon:

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.