I have a 2013 Macbook Pro, 2.6GHz it, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, Retina 1GB. I'm an advanced hobbyist and use LightRoom 5 to adjust and convert Raw files from my Oly Em1 and Sony RX100-2. I find my current Macbook adequate, not blazingly fast but fast enough for now. Don't do video but may do some very light processing in the future.
I'm ready to buy a desktop and wondering if a Mac Mini or an iMac would be best? and what configuration, processor, Ram, etc.?
Also is it worth it to buy the 5K Retina version or the standard display?
I plan to use the desktop to also serve as a movie and music server.
Another question is it better to buy a used earlier generation high end iMac or a new base iMac?
I'm NOT looking for the fastest, bestest, screaming machine out there. Just one that will be a bit faster than my current Macbook. So what would be the minimum configuration you suggest?