I am going to Lembeh in July. I usually shoot with a 60mm macro. Would it be better to use a 100mm for Lembeh? Also, is it really necessary to use a diopter? Since this is the first time there, will I miss much? Will I use it really that much for the cost of the diopter?
A 100 mm is always a better choice as you get more space between the camera and subject. Also a shallower depth of field helps. Most subjects in Lembeh can be covered by this lens. A diopter is useful for getting some creative images and helps with the really teeny weeny ones. I normally carry one. That said the 100 mm is also good enough to cover most. Worse case a bit of cropping is always a possibility.
Cheers,
Diggy
Hi seansrs968
I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time in Lembeh. It is an amazing place.
Are you shooting with a DX camera or FX? If FX you definitely need a 100mm macro. If DX then your 60mm can work pretty well - and arguably - you don't HAVE to have a 100mm. Although always nice to have the two options!
Unless you are looking to shoot super-macro I'd suggest you don't need a diopter. I shot macro in Lembeh for a year (400+ dives) with a DX sensor (Nikon D300) and just switched between the 60mm (mainly) and a 105mm (sometimes).
Lembeh is a fascinating place to take underwater images. It does take some time though to get used to the black sand environment and dark surroundings - and muck. Unless you are really experienced in macro - and to an extent used to the Lembeh-type muck environment, I'd be tempted to suggest sticking with the 60/100 lenses and not bothering so much with diopters which are tricky to use. Get some really good image with the 60!
I have a Canon 5DM3. So the 100mm should be good then? When I went to Analio I used a 60mm but on a 7d so that was 84mm.
I have a Canon 5DM3. So the 100mm should be good then? When I went to Analio I used a 60mm but on a 7d so that was 84mm.
Yeah, the 5DM3 is full-frame I think. So I would go with the 100mm for macro.
Just to (hopefully) simplify, if you are using a "DX"-type (smaller) sensor a 60mm lens has an approx 90mm view. So this works fine for macro. The 100mm on DX produces approx 150mm which can be tricky to use. But with the full-frame sensor (or "FX") a 60mm is just that - 60mm and isn't ideal for macro but ok for fish "portraits".
Have a great trip!
I have a Canon 5DM3. So the 100mm should be good then? When I went to Analio I used a 60mm but on a 7d so that was 84mm.
If it's about EF-S 60mm then you can't mount on 5d3 which is ef mount (unless use tc or extension ring).
The water quality in Lembeh is not the best, there is a lot of sediment. Most critters are kind of stationary allowing you to get close.
Use a lens that allows you to decrease the amount of water between you and your subject. As per Tim, DX use a 60 mm, FX use a 105 mm
And get the best guide, since the critters are well camouflaged and as a newbie you swim past them.
I alway hire the resorts best guide as a private guide.
Elmer
The water quality in Lembeh is not the best, there is a lot of sediment. Most critters are kind of stationary allowing you to get close.
Use a lens that allows you to decrease the amount of water between you and your subject. As per Tim, DX use a 60 mm, FX use a 105 mm
And get the best guide, since the critters are well camouflaged and as a newbie you swim past them.
I alway hire the resorts best guide as a private guide.
Elmer
Amen on Elmer's point on the guide! If you are new to Lembeh - and dive without a guide - there is a real risk that you will see nothing! As I said in my earlier post, the underwater landscape and the size of the most interesting critters takes some getting used to.