Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help choosing an underwater system

Started by JKist3 ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Help choosing an underwater system

1 posts
  1. I want to get something to record the few dive and snorkel trips I go on (maybe 1 a year on average) and am having a hard time deciding on a good system for what I need. I mainly value the following:

    1)ease of travel
    2)ease of use
    3)ease of maintenance
    4)quality of footage

    Obviously there must be a trade off between these, so I'm trying to figure out what system offers the best balance. Originally I had thought I would get a compact system like an rx100 and take pics and video with it, but lately I'm having second thoughts. It seems to me that a video setup would be better than a photo setup for what I want because it would take away less from the experience of the dive and I wouldn't be a hold up to dive buddies while fumbling around with manual settings while trying to frame that perfect shot (please correct me if you think this assumption is wrong). As a result I'm seriously considering a gopro setup. I assume it should have a compact video system beat in ease of travel, use, and maintenance, but by how much? Also how much will I be giving up in terms of quality of footage? I'd appreciate any comparisons between these 2 options based on my criteria. Also if there's an option I'm not considering I'm open to hearing it. Thanks!


    A few other thoughts:
    -If I go the compact route I'm tempted to go towards an rx100 ii instead of a newer model because it seems better if I ever wanted to take pictures and I don't particularly care about 4k resolution for videos.
    -the compact system has the added benefit of doubling as an above water camera. I would have more limited use for the gopro above water.
    -I do snorkel about the same, if not more than I dive, so I want my setup to be good for snorkeling as well as diving.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.