I am just getting started and have never done UW photography before.. Nonetheless, I am leaving for a two to three week UW photography trip to Asia on May 4th.
Please let me go through what I have and what I think I need to buy.
I already had the Olympus E-M1 Mark II camera, plus computer equipment and Adobe CC with Lightroom and Photoshop.
I literally bought my first UW photography gear from ebay yesterday:
-Nauticam CMC-1 $212.50
-Nauticam WWL-1 $531.00
-Panasonic PZ 14-42mm lens + Nauticam Port 29 + focus gear $338.33
The plan is to purchase:
-Nauticam housing for E-M1 Mark II with vacuum alert protection
-Panasonic 8mm f3.5 ( seems like a cost effective wide angle for a starter system -- compared to the 8mm PRO,)
-Nauticam 4.33 inch port for Panasonic 8mm with PF-8 focus gear (With such a small port, am I giving up the ability to do over/under split shots?)
-Olympus 60mm macro lens
-Nauticam N85 port 65 with 0-60F focus gear for the 60mm lens
Accessories
-2 Sea and Sea YS-D2 strobes
-diffusers for YS-D2s
-Fiber Optic cables or sync cords
-Focus Light (is a high powered video light too strong for a focus light?)
-Nauticam Flexitray II with left and right handles.
-Arms
-Clamps
-Floatation for arms and housing
-arm/clamp adapters for strobes
-Carrying handle
-67mm adapter for CMC-1 and WWL-1? (Are the bayonet adapters useful?)
Not sure:
Covers for the strobes and ports so they don't get scratched?
Bag to carry underwater for CMC-1, WWL-1, port covers and other miscellaneous items? How do you carry all your stuff?
Lanyards (to connect camera to some part of the body or BC)?
----
I plan to purchase either used (on wetpixel classifieds or eBay) or from my local dealer (Optical Ocean Sales in Seattle) in spite of the extra 10% state sales tax.
What else do I need? Please tell me absolutely everything I need. I don't want to get to Asia and not have something or discover that I bought gear that won't work well.
The strobe connectors are a little mysterious to me. Is there a housing/strobe combination which allows TTL with the Olympus E-M1 Mark II (camera does not have an internal flash)? If I stick with the Nauticam housing and YS-D2 strobes what are the best strobe connectors -- fiber optic cables or sync cords?
The accessories are still unknown and complicated to me. What is a good, high-quality arm/clamp setup for the Nauticam housing and YS-D2 strobes? Do I need floatation arms and if so, what size do you recommend for the setup above? Knowing nothing, I am thinking of a combination of Nauticam carbon fiber float arms and extra Stix floats, although I have no idea what sizes to get,
Do I need a small backup camera if I am travelling on a remote liveaboard in Asia? I am thinking Sony RX100 III and the Fantasea housing.
I am finding underwater photography is very complicated and expensive. The only reason I have gotten this far is from reading Alex Mustard's excellent book "Master Classroom," which has inspired me to take up this hobby. It is the best instructional book of any kind that I have ever read.
In general, I want a good starter system with high-quality components.
I would appreciate comments and advice from Wetpixel members. Thanks!
I am just getting started and have never done UW photography before..