Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Small Camera with quality

Started by l.babcock ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Small Camera with quality

14 posts
  1. Hey Guys, I am looking to purchase a small camera that takes good video and stills that has a good white balance capability. What have you guys used that has impressed you.

     

    Thanks

    Larry

  2. If being compact is important to you I'd suggest getting a "tight" housing for whatever camera u get. I.E not an ikelite housing (very bulky)

    As for the cameras I'm using a gh4 but don't think it could be classified as small

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  3. My Friend has a Gh4 in a ikelite housing, it has been back to ikelite twice because after you get past 60ft you cant switch between video and pictures. I like the specs on the Gh4

    I want to stay away from Sony, I have never had any good luck using their Manual white balance and in auto mode it doesn't work very well either. the LX 100 has some descent reviews, but cant find anyone who owns one for personal experience

  4. Go for a gh4 in nauticam housing. There's quite a few being sold right now (used)

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  5. I think if you are looking for small, then you might want to stick with a compact, but the next size up would probably be something like an Olympus E-M10 or a Panasonic GX85. The video abilities of those are likely not as good as a GH4, so you may need to compromise on either the video capabilities of the size. Of course, compared to a Canon or Nikon housed camera, even the GH4 is small.

  6. I think if you are looking for small, then you might want to stick with a compact, but the next size up would probably be something like an Olympus E-M10 or a Panasonic GX85. The video abilities of those are likely not as good as a GH4, so you may need to compromise on either the video capabilities of the size. Of course, compared to a Canon or Nikon housed camera, even the GH4 is small.

    I heard good things about the Olympus. I'm changing gears about now. I just want quality video. it isn't on the small side,I'm looking at the Canon 1DX mk II.

     

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  7. I heard good things about the Olympus. I'm changing gears about now. I just want quality video. it isn't on the small side,I'm looking at the Canon 1DX mk II.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

    That's a big jump from a compact haha
  8. That's a big jump from a compact haha

    I know, im in the water on a regular basis running trips. I just dont want to spend 12K and still not be happy. The only camera that comes close to the !dx mkii is the Panasonic GH5 at a fraction of the cost. I priced the 1DX package and its around 25K I can get the GH5 package around 10k

  9. I know, im in the water on a regular basis running trips. I just dont want to spend 12K and still not be happy. The only camera that comes close to the !dx mkii is the Panasonic GH5 at a fraction of the cost. I priced the 1DX package and its around 25K I can get the GH5 package around 10k

    25k is ridiculous haha. Go for the gh5!

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  10. 25k is ridiculous haha. Go for the gh5!

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

    I bought GH5 with Nauticam housing, 7-14 lens, monitor, ect. It comes in this tuesday. Its going to be a learning curb since I have only used a video camera

  11. The biggest issue when switching from a video camera will be that continuous autofocus doesn't really work well on the DSLR/Mirrorless cameras.

    Bill

  12. Here is my first video with the GH5, it was a massive learning curb coming from a video camera. Im not sure i made the right decision for the money I spent

     

    https://youtu.be/_sZ0qsJv0tY

  13. Colors etc look great!

     

    However I'm not sure if the GH5 fits within the 'small camera' category :)

     

    What aren't you happy with, may I ask?

  14. Colors etc look great!

     

    However I'm not sure if the GH5 fits within the 'small camera' category :)

     

    What aren't you happy with, may I ask?

    I have to constantly Manual white balance, If the sun goes in or out,and if the sun angle changes you have to readjust your settings.It doesn't work in Auto mode with accurate colors. Its just a lot more work then my previous Video camera. I don't understand all the settings or where to set them at. I spend more time adjusting settings then looking at the marine life. The plus, it takes awesome video when its set right, its lighter then my video camera.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.