Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Good lens for fish portraits FF

Started by Akulamd ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Good lens for fish portraits FF

3 posts
  1. Can anyone recommend a good lens for medium range fish portraits? I am doing a little project that has to do with photographing reef fish. I already own Nikon 16-35, Nikon 60 and Nikon 105 VR. 105 gives too narrow angle and 35 is too wide angle for my taste. Any suggestions?

    Thank you in advance for the advice.

  2. Hi Akulamd

     

    I found a 60mm on a DX sensor good for fish portraits. Even on an FX sensor it works pretty well. I agree, 105, especially on DX, is too narrow an angle.

  3. 60mm was my "go to" focal length back when shooting DX. However I found the 105 useful too. Especially for smaller reef fish, e.g., those < 10cm (4") in length. Here is an example: http://www.salmonography.com/Aloha/Fish-Portraits/i-DB7S5Gd

    This shot was challenging but I managed with the older tech AF in my D2X. This might be a piece of cake with the D500. In general I think that focal length should be inversely proportional to subject size for UW portrait shots. Looks like you already have the lenses you need.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.