Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dive computers

Started by acroporas ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Dive computers

17 posts
  1. Dive computers

    I am going to buy a dive computer next week. I have almost made up my mind on Oceanic VT PRO. I like the Idea of Oceanic's watch sized ATOM 1.0 but I think that it may just be too small to read the display. Any one have any experience with either of these two computers?

     

    I am open to others makes/models as well so anyone with any thoughts on any other current dive computers please tell me what you think of your computer.

     

     

    Also I remember seeing an artical someplace that rated dive computers on how conservative they were. I was wondering if anyone has a link to it or remembers the order in which the different brands fall?

  2. Hey William,

    I have used a Uwatec Ultra computer for the last 4 years and I love it.3 to 4 dives a day whilst working on a Liveaboard and no worries

    Wrist mounts work well with a camera in hand.Its Nitrox compatible and does not default to 21% each time it turns itself off.

     

    Steve

  3. My wife and I have no complaints with our Suunto Cobras....they are conservative, but when you are doing multiple days of 4 dives each, that's not so bad....especially for an old guy :lol:

  4. I've got a mix of computers. My current favorite is the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 (at least I think that's the name). It's an air integrated Nitrox console. Big display, reasonable in terms of algorithm, easy to use. I also really like my Dive Rite Nitek He, although I use that more for deep / deco diving and as a backup when I'm diving NDL.

  5. My vote goes for Suunto Cobra. As said, it is also of the more conservative kind.

  6. Hi

    I've been diving a OMS EANx, for around 2 years and like it a lot. It's pretty cheap around $200.

     

    I was working the summer in Cozumel for DAN doing a study involving Dive professionals. We distributed Suunto Vypers to those participating in the study. The Cobra is the same as the Vyper but just Air integrated, a few friends have them. The computers are very nice. DAN has around 30 Vypers in Cozumel and despite diving everyday they hold up very well. They use the RGBM model which is very good although some people complain it's a little too conservative.

     

    My one complaint after using them, downloading them, changing batteries is that it is a pain to go from gauge to nitrox to air mode. You have to wait 24 hours without diving to change modes. Most people get around this by keeping it at nitrox 21% almost always. However if you are doing trimix or gas switches it'll lock out unless in gauge mode.

     

    Hope this helps. Oh and stay away from the Cochran computers, and I know several people who have had problems with the Mares M1, although they like the Nemo.

     

    Aaron

  7. I prefer the Suunto's computers from the new line Vyper & Mosquito since they have RGBM deco model and they also have great service here.

    I herd that Mares have new line with RGBM model but I don't know them.

  8. The new Oceanic Atom is a very sweet little computer. I've done about 30 dives with mine so far and it is great. Reading the numbers is not a problem for me as my eyes are still pretty good for close up vision. I didn't think I'd really go for the hoseless air thing, but I am loving it now.

     

    My local shop has had two customers flood their Atoms on the first dive; our guess is that the battery door wasn't closed properly - I chalk it up to growing pains for a new manufacturing line. The serial number on mine is 000000133, so that gives you an idea of how new they are.

     

    One customer (a wetpixel user, actually... are you reading this?) didn't like that you have to press a button to see your air pressure. I kind of like it because it keeps the air time remaining and the NDL time remaining seperate, unlike some other Oceanics that combine the two by showing you the lesser.

     

    The users manual is not well written, and the PC software it comes with is pretty lame, but other than that, I love it.

     

    Cp

  9. Hi!

     

    I've used a series of Uwatec computers. First, I had an Aladin Air (gas integrated console) which was sturdy and above all, easy to read (big , clear display). Now, I'm diving several new test devices that'll hit the market soon.

    For photography I'd recommend a wrist model. It's easy to handle and you don't have to grab for the hose to have a reading (although I did about 100 photo dives with this setting).

    The radio transmission of gas integrated devices is pretty stable. It had it's weak points in the beginning (years ago, most computers, no matter which brand, failed under some circumstances, wrecks, lots of metal e.g.) but current devices have dramatically improved. A friend of mine still uses his manual pressure gauge as a backup but it's stowed away in a pocket of his BC so there's nothing dangling around.

    The Aladin Air X Nitrox and the Aladin Air O2 are the two current Uwatec models, that feature hoseless gas integration. There'll be another one coming soon.

     

    All Uwatec models have a large, easy to read display. The batteries aren't user changeable (one of the main points of criticism) but therefore the devices can't flood and are calibrated and serviced when you send them in for a battery change (a battery lasts at least 5 years with average use). The battery level may be displayed and you'll still be able to do a weeks diving at "0%" capacity.

     

    The new Smart series: currently one non-gas integrated wrist model (Smart PRO) and a gas integrated console (Smart COM) offer a user configurable level of conservatism. You may select one of 5 levels to prevent the building of microbubbles. This leads to some more intermediate (non-mandatory) level stops for additional safety.

    You may configure the device and transfer data via IrDA. Software for PC, Windows CE based PDAs and Palm OS is available, MAC and Linux wil be supported soon.

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  10. I use an Oceanic Versa, which is simple and easy to read U/W. I was supicious initally that it was a bit too basic, but found that I'm actually happy with just the core functions it provides. I'm only diving with Fi02 .21, which is good because this computer doesn't support nitrox. Probably doesn't support Heliox either.

  11. I do love my Suunto Cobra, it's PC interface software allows me to bookmark positions durring the dive (I use em to know when and where I took a good pic at) and recall them later.

  12. dupe post --sorry

    NT

  13. Oceanics are terrible. I have worked 5 years as a full time diver on liveaboards. Therefore i have seen thousands of divers and thousands of computers. I have also seen more problems with Oceanics (and their derivatives) than any other computer. Stupid deco times, crashing displays, etc etc. I can recommend two computer manufacturers. Aladin/Uwatec (now owned by Scubapro) or Suunto.

    Nothing else

  14. I have used the Oceanic VT Pro for about a year now. It is a great computer. Really easy to use. I have owned 2 Oceanic computers. Never a problem; unlike some other brands I've owned. If you don't count the one that was ripped off by an anchor chain in 115 ft of water.

  15. I have around 300 dives on the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and would not even look at another computer.

     

    Not only am I happy with the algorithim, it has been bullet proof. It also has a really big display so an old fart like me can read the numbers.

     

    In reply to the original post, the VT Pro should have all of the functions of the PP2, but it is wireless and has a smaller display. If that works for you then you should love the unit!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.