Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Buoyancy options for Sea & Sea MDX 5D Mk3 v2 w/ 5DSR & 2x YS-D2

Started by NagiA ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Buoyancy options for Sea & Sea MDX 5D Mk3 v2 w/ 5DSR & 2x YS-D2

3 posts
  1. Hi -

     

    I tried to search for info, but found nothing on this topic. I'm fairly new to the forum, so please forgive any lapses in etiquette, etc.

     

    I just upgraded to a new housing - the Sea & Sea MDX 5D Mk3 ver 2, for use with my Canon 5DSR camera. I'm planning on using this setup with 2 Sea & Sea YS-D2 strobes (actually, one existing YS-D1, and one new YS-D2, but they have the same weight, etc).

     

    What I'd like to get some help on is making this setup's buoyancy as neutral as possible to reduce arm and wrist strain.

     

    Options I'm looking at are the ULCS DB-B (12" & 8") arms, and the ULCS DB-BL (12" & 8") arms - their older single buoyancy arms, or their double buoyancy arms.

     

    Does anyone have experience with this setup, or could provide insight into how well balanced this would be underwater?

     

    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Nagi

     

  2. Sorry, some missing information:

     

    For Macro, I'd be using the Sea & Sea DX Macro Port 87, with the Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS lens.

    For wide angle, I'll be using the Sea & Sea NX Compact Port, with the Tokina 10-17mm DX lens.

     

    Nagi

  3. Depends how precise you want to be, Nagi.

     

    If you want to go the "scientific route":

     

    One way of doing it is to set your gear up, tie a short length of rope to suspend it from - and then use a luggage-style hand scale to weigh it whilst your gear hangs, submerged in water similar to that in which you'd dive. The weight that is shown is the negative weight. You then chose suitable arms to create that amount of positive buoyancy to cancel out the negative

    This will change, of course, between fresh water and sea water; and between macro and WA.

    For the type of scale, see for example https://www.amazon.c...ction-Capacity/

    But if this is too messy, I'm sure someone will give you advice before long on how they manage with the gear you are using - or something similar.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.