Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Poor View through Viewfinder

Started by skir67 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Poor View through Viewfinder

5 posts
  1. On my housing the view through the viewfinder is to my mind is more or less unusable. All the screen information is so small as to be unintelligible.

     

    With a mask on I can only imagine this situation will be worse.

     

    I've only had the housing underwater once so far and that was really just a test dive and then I used live view. I think I'll keep using live view with this housing. But, undoubtedly there are going to be disadvantages to this.

     

    What are the disadvantages of using live view? Two that spring to mind are possibly slowing focusing and shortened battery time.

     

    Is there any way I can improve the viewfinder view or is this normal and something you learn to live with?

     

    I don't intend to spend any more money on this housing other than on things that can be transferred to a replacement so maybe a 45 degree viewfinder is out.

     

    Or, are there universal viewfinders that can be easily moved from one housing to another?

    Edited by skir67
  2. Most 45 degree viewfinders can be adapted to different housings. My inon 45 is on my second Ikelite housing but came with a nexus mount.

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  3. That's good to know. Is it normally the case that you have to get this work professionally done?

  4. Changing viewfinders is housing dependent. In other words, some housing allow changing viewfinders and others do not.

    In those that allow changing from the standard viewfinder to magnifying viewfinders it is usually a screw in nut, C clip or washer that holds the viewfinder in place. On some housing like Nauticam the rear window will need to be changed.

    Many housing allow a different manufactures viewfinder to be fitted with an adaptor.

     

    In regards to using live view, the focus is slower, uses more battery, the time of shutter release is longer too.

    Using your viewfinder negates the slow focus and delayed shutter release

     

    Elmer

  5. Thanks, useful info. Live view is sub-optimal for sure, but my only option for the time being, so I'll have to make the best of it. I've got a second battery which will cover that on a daily basis, the other stuff I'll just have to live with.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.