Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

removing backscatter - photoshop terminology?

Started by frosterrj ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

removing backscatter - photoshop terminology?

7 posts
  1. removing backscatter - photoshop terminology?

    Hi,

    obviously I dont know photoshop or the lingo, so I dont even know how to do an effective search of the archives, so what steps do you do in photoshop lingo to take a white piece of backscatter and turn it the same color as the water?

     

    Anyone using open source tools (GIMP v2)/linux to process images?

     

    And any tips on searching this sites posts effectively?

     

    Thanks,

    Robert

  2. I use the gimp.

     

    For backscatter I pick a round fuzzy brush, and then use the clone tool to pick up

    a chunk of the water at the same level on the gradient. It gives a similar pattern to

    what the digitization did for the color change. The fuzzy brush hides where the

    edges of the clone are (so it doesn't look like a hard cut and paste) and you don't

    have to mask/blur everything away and fight with blurs at the edge of subjects.

     

    Dan

  3. If you have Photoshop CS, there is a "healing" tool (looks like a band-aid) that works very well for backscatter. Prese the ALT key to select a clean area of similar background and then click on the backscatter with a brush slightly larger than the area of the scatter.

     

    It's like magic!

  4. I use the gimp.

     

    For backscatter I pick a round fuzzy brush, and then use the clone tool to pick up

    a chunk of the water at the same level on the gradient.  

     

       Dan

     

    Dan, I tried to use the clone tool, but got no where fast. I tried the help file, but only found a description of what the clone tool is. Can you explain the steps you perform to actually clone something?

     

    Thanks,

    Robert

  5. Hey RObert, in the Tools bar, click the clone tool. Place the cursor over an area you want to clone to another. Press Alt - left click. You now have that "piece" saved..... Place the cursor over the bit you want to cover up. Left click.

     

    Voila!

     

    Of course, someone will tell me if it's control left click, but I beliecve it's alt :-)

     

    If you need to change the style/size of the brush, right click brings up a menu (btw, this is all PS 7)

     

    Chris

  6. As always, there are a zillion ways to get to every option in the Gimp.

     

    On the main gimp (V2) window, the clone tool is the rubber stamp (fourth

    from the last item between draw in ink and blur or sharpen.) You can also

    hit it through the menu in the image editing window, go

     

    Tools -> Paint Tools -> Clone

     

    For the brush, the black dot next to the gradient selection will do it, or from

    the image editing menu

     

    Dialogs -> Brushes

     

    Or ctrl shift B

     

    So, set the brush (big fuzzy circle.) Select the clone tool, your cursor will be

    a rubber stamp and a busters (circle with a slash) indicating you don't have

    anything to clone. Then control left click on the spot to copy from (the busters

    thing will become a dotted circle showing where it's going to clone), and left

    click to drop it in.

  7. Ok, ctrl+click to copy. That is mentioned NOWHERE in gimp help :shock: . I would have never figured that one out.

     

    Thanks for the tip.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.