Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Best small compact for macro

Started by jacqueline.vandewalt ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Best small compact for macro

8 posts
  1. Hi all we are based in South Africa. I want to replace my Canon G1 x mark 2 with a new camera. I have been shooting for 5 years now and prefer macro work. The only problem is that the g1x mark 2 does not deliver for me . Is there a lens attachment to use or should I buy sinething else. I have a 5 D mark 3 as well but does not want to take it underwater. I use a Ys 01 and Ys 02 strobe with my canon g1x mark 2 and a canon housing -all input will be appreciated.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Great

  3. Hi,
    what is the problem with your camera?
    Can you get not close enought?
    Then you should try a close up / macro lens.
    Dont know if the Canon housing has a M67 thread or maybe you can use an adapter for lenses.

    My girl friend uses a Sony RX100 mk1, with a Inon macro lens, and this gives nice pics...

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  4. Hi,

    what is the problem with your camera?

    Can you get not close enought?

    Then you should try a close up / macro lens.

    Dont know if the Canon housing has a M67 thread or maybe you can use an adapter for lenses.

     

    My girl friend uses a Sony RX100 mk1, with a Inon macro lens, and this gives nice pics...

     

    Regards,

    Wolfgang

    Thanks I'll read up on that combo

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Hi all we are based in South Africa. I want to replace my Canon G1 x mark 2 with a new camera. I have been shooting for 5 years now and prefer macro work. The only problem is that the g1x mark 2 does not deliver for me . Is there a lens attachment to use or should I buy sinething else. I have a 5 D mark 3 as well but does not want to take it underwater. I use a Ys 01 and Ys 02 strobe with my canon g1x mark 2 and a canon housing -all input will be appreciated.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    for macro work you are often concerned about the minimum focus distance. at full zoom your camera can only focus at 40cm or further away (not sure how this exactly translates to underwater) but this is very far away for macro work.

     

    you should investigate using a wet diopter. i use a G16 with a subsea +10 diopter for macro work. This lets me focus at about 10 cm or closer. The closer you get the bigger your macro subjects will be.

  6. The Olympus TG-4 and TG-5 will allow you to do some nice macro work without diopters. They have a "microsocope" mode which has a minimum focal distance of 10 mm.

     

    Here's a link to a review on the TG-4.

  7. Affirmative on the Olympus TG 3, it takes excellent close ups and standard macros, even without an external strobe.

    Housing it in the Olympus PT-56 housing is an excellent idea.

     

    Right now (mid 2017) the new TG5 is attracting the attention, but is way overpriced. One can get the same quality with the TG-3 or TG-4 I have bought several second hand ones, all have worked just fine.

     

    In terms of price, quality and convenience, the Olympus Tough + housing combo is hard to beat.

  8. I would also encourage you to look at the Olympus TG-4. I purchased one for my wife with a PT-056 housing and a YS-03 strobe and she loves it. This is an inexpensive, easy to use and very portable rig that takes great fish portraits and macro shots. My only caution would be that the manual white balance is very poor. As such, I do not find it to be well suited to wide angle photo/video.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.