Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D7200/7100 - Focus mode and area underwater

Started by yasser.nadim ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

D7200/7100 - Focus mode and area underwater

14 posts
  1. Hi,

    I planning to buy a housing for the Nikon D7200. One of the housing I found didn't have access to changing Focus Mode or Area selection.

    I was wondering, if I am set up for wide angle or Macro before the dive, would I still need to change the Focus mode during the dive? And in what circumstances?

    Thank you

  2. A personal choice; I always use single point, lock focus and recompose.

    What brand housing are you looking at? There are good, used top of the line housings available that you should not give up this feature.

    Are there any other functions not available?

    Good luck!

  3. A personal choice; I always use single point, lock focus and recompose.

    What brand housing are you looking at? There are good, used top of the line housings available that you should not give up this feature.

    Are there any other functions not available?

    Good luck!

    Thank you. It's a Nimar housing. I think that's the only important function missing.

    I love to get a Nauticam. I have one in my current setup (G7X). Few months ago there were few good one for sale here on WP but i didn't have the funds. I thought cheaper housing will mean i can buy more good glass.

  4. I'm with Okuma. Unless it's something unusual, I too use single point, focus, lock, shoot.

  5. Thanks Tim. I am talking about the switch / button on the bottom left side. As u know these buttons the only way to control the Focus mode and foucs area selection. My question was, do u really need to change the setting during the dive?

    I have a friend who is using Nimar housing with his Canon dslr and he is very happy with the housing. Ports and domes are as expensive either.

    I checked thoroughly and it seems these buttons the only way I can change the settings. There is no work around.

    To be safe, I think I will wait for a good used housing.

  6. Oh right, sorry, Yasser.

     

    Yeah, actually I do sometimes switch between C and S. Although like the other settings, I tend to use S. Maybe C for fast moving critters - dolphins especially. Happily my housing lets me change this underwater.

  7. Thanks Tim. Yes it does make sense to get housing covering all these essential functions

  8. On canon dslr the mode is changed by one of the top buttons and one of the main wheels, not a separate switch

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  9. There must also be a function on the nikons for back button focus, if you use continuous focus and set that button to engage the af only when pressed it will be like a single focus lock when released.

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  10. There must also be a function on the nikons for back button focus, if you use continuous focus and set that button to engage the af only when pressed it will be like a single focus lock when released.

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

    Thanks mate. Good tip[emoji1362]

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. I like single point continues because even with what appears as stationary subjects there is some movement while one floats in water.

     

    Elmer

  12. I like single point continues because even with what appears as stationary subjects there is some movement while one floats in water.

     

    Elmer

    Thanks Elmer. So what is your focus settings when you shootings wide angle?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Single point continues works for wide angle too, just put the point on what you want in focus, recompose and shoot the shot.

     

    Elmer

  14. Single point continues works for wide angle too, just put the point on what you want in focus, recompose and shoot the shot.

     

    Elmer

    Thanks [emoji1374]

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.