Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

1/160 sync--deal breaker?

Started by guyharrisonphoto ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

1/160 sync--deal breaker?

2 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I am considering moving to a sony a6500 from my Oly em-5 original version. My em-5 syncs at 1/250 The A-6500 syncs at 1/160. This is a difference of 2/3 stop.

     

    Is this a serious disadvantage, especially when shooting animals/divers with sunballs in clear tropical waters? I have see some A-6500 sample pics where the lens was fully stopped down and the subject properly exposed with flash at 1/160, but the sunball was still too large and blown out, but I don't know if the difference in sync speed would make any difference.

     

    so, I thought I would ask more experienced people here what they think. Are there other disadvantages that I should know about?

     

    Or, is this really not that big a deal.

     

    EDIT, I thought I read somewhere that someone tested the A-6500 with manual flash at 1/250 and there was no issue with the shutter blades. Does anyone know about this? Will the camera even allow this?

     

    Thanks!

  2. Hi,

     

    I am considering moving to a sony a6500 from my Oly em-5 original version. My em-5 syncs at 1/250 The A-6500 syncs at 1/160. This is a difference of 2/3 stop.

     

    Is this a serious disadvantage, especially when shooting animals/divers with sunballs in clear tropical waters? I have see some A-6500 sample pics where the lens was fully stopped down and the subject properly exposed with flash at 1/160, but the sunball was still too large and blown out, but I don't know if the difference in sync speed would make any difference.

     

    so, I thought I would ask more experienced people here what they think. Are there other disadvantages that I should know about?

     

    Or, is this really not that big a deal.

     

    EDIT, I thought I read somewhere that someone tested the A-6500 with manual flash at 1/250 and there was no issue with the shutter blades. Does anyone know about this? Will the camera even allow this?

     

    Thanks!

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.