Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic 8mm fisheye in Nauticam 3.5" dome - will it vignette?

Started by lufik ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic 8mm fisheye in Nauticam 3.5" dome - will it vignette?

12 posts
  1. Hello

    I cannot decide between ordinary 4.33" fisheye port or the 3.5" dome for Panasonic 8mm fisheye. I read all available topics and still do not have answer to one last question. Will it vignette? What scares me some people have vignetting while others with the same combo do not experience any. Anyone having an experience with Nauticam case for Olympus E-PL5 with the lens? I've seen one facebook post from Alex Mustard showing one picture. Should I play it safe and go for 4.33 or risk and get the 3.5 and its amazing WAM capabilities?

    Any experience or advice is more than welcome. Thank you.

    Lubo

  2. I use that combination for my Panasonic GX1 in a Nauticam housing and it does vignette. It's not huge, so I just crop it out, but it definitely vignettes

  3. nauticam case and omd5 will not vignette and that is my favorite setup.

     

    Andrea

  4. One vignetting and one not, score 1:1 did not help much :lol:

    @jwmm2 - how bad is the vignetting? Could you, please, share uncropped image for reference?

    Edited by lufik
  5. It's no bad at all, here are some uncropped photos;post-25771-0-11541000-1498224512_thumb.jpgpost-25771-0-35817500-1498224538_thumb.jpgpost-25771-0-21476600-1498224561_thumb.jpgpost-25771-0-70756000-1498224627_thumb.jpg

  6. Nice pictures! With little bit of photoshop I can fix the corners easily. Also corner sharpness is acceptable. Thank you.

    Cannot wait to get this combo under water. Problem solved!

    Edited by lufik
  7. i have used the 3.5 with my em5.... not vignette but the quality isn't so good... i have also the 4.33 dome for real wideangle photos(better quality).... with the pana 8mm the 3.5 is for CFWA photography, the 4.33 for wide angle..... but i've to admit that i do my best shot of all time with the 3.5 dome! :-)

  8. Hi Boletus, just like Lufik, I don't care about vignette anymore, since it's really small and easy to fix.

     

    It's macro capabilities are really tempting, but I 'd like to know what's the tradeoff.

     

    What do you exactly mean by not so good quality with 3.5" dome?

  9. Hi Piotr, now I change from Panasonic to Olympus 8mm.... using same domes with nauticam 20mm ring.... Ive cut the sunshade of the Olympus lens for using it also with the 3.5 dome... similar results but attempting cfwa with the 3.5 Ive to stopping down the lens a lot for sufficient dof... doing also normal wide angle with both domes... the difference are not so big in terms of quality.... with the 4.33 the corners are slightly better, but none of the domes have beautiful quality... im Thinking to switch to 140mm glass dome!

    I hope in the future Olympus and Panasonic release a TC compatible with the fisheyes for more CFWA power.... for now you can do some nice shot.... but the FOV its a little to much for me...

  10. See some example of quality - more than acceptable for me. I look at 100% pictures only when post-processing, prints are different story and these pictures print really good.

    100% crops from center and corner

    post-31049-0-42788500-1509950216_thumb.jpgpost-31049-0-71519200-1509950226_thumb.jpg

  11. 100% crops from center and corner

     

    What aperture value did you use?

     

    Regards,

    Piotr

  12. 1/160sec at f/10

    BTW took me quite some time to find a picture, where corners really do matter. With a fish-eye perspective corners are usually blue water or background. So in reality corner sharpness is not as significant as for example on macro shots.

    Edited by lufik
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.