Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

PT-EP08 Dome, or better value solution?

Started by noggin2k1 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

PT-EP08 Dome, or better value solution?

6 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Quick intro; big Canon shooter (5DIV & 6D), along with the trusty GoPro. Currently use the GoPro & generic 8" dome to do the 'split' under/over water shots - it's great for video, but leaves me lacking in the stills department.

     

    I'm looking for a solution to do no more than the under/over water shots - took a look at options for the Canon's, but it's hugely expensive for something I'll use a handful of times per year.

     

    I've found some cracking deals on used E-M5's and the PT-EP08 case (sub £400 for the pair), but I'm struggling to find a large suitable dome to add for under £500 extra - any suggestions?

     

    If anyone has any alternative great value setup ideas, I'm all ears!!

  2. Here's a link to an old thread of mine:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57634&hl=

     

    ...I use the Inon dome with an Olympus housing, and I've successfully shot the 12-40 and 7-14 Pro lenses with a 2" extension, and the 8mm fisheye with no extension. My Panasonic 8-18 should come in tomorrow, and I'll test it out in the bathtub and report back. Between no extension ring, 1" extension, and 2" extension, this dome work with many different lens.

     

    Pricing seems to be pretty close to your target for just the dome, but you'll need the Olympus adapter (easy to find) and extension ring (not so easy to find). As far as I know, the only other big dome that works with the Oly OMD housings is the Olympus PPO-04, and it's out of production and pretty tough to find. Hope this helps...

    Edited by Wapiti
  3. Thanks for coming back to me - it's finding a UK Zen stockist at a reasonable price that is seemingly the problem!

     

    I've found a company called Kitdive who look to be releasing this shortly;

     

    18014001_435414806826034_315469532907333

     

    It'll be for the E-M5 II, but they have great pricing on their other products, so may make it a more cost effective package..

  4. Not sure if this helps, but look at the AOI lenses for OM mounts, quite reasonably priced at Ocean Leisure... I have the PT-EP08, OLY 9-18mm with EM-5 and AOI DLP-04P with adaptor and although its not an FE lens its close and entry level price wise... there is a thread on Scuba board about this combination. The whole lot cost me £1075 from ebay/SRS Computer/Ocean Leisure.

     

    FYI, I tried an Inon wide angle wet lens on the standard port (PPO-EP01) with 67mm thread front and the vignetting was dreadful...

  5. I've taken a look at that AOI one, but I'm not sure a 4" dome would be big enough to get the split view pictures. Have you tried doing the split view/any feedback on it?

  6. It can be done, just... (Wraysbury)

     

    KsIatSD.jpg

     

    Mi7v8ug.jpg

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.