Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Viewfinder Optic Protection

Started by craig nelson ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Viewfinder Optic Protection

9 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I thought I'd just share this little tip with you.

     

    having just got myself a lovely VF45 finder I want to provide the best care I can for the optics pre and post dive. I'm always very concerned about loose items damaging sensitive and expensive things so I set about looking for a solution to protect the optic.

     

    The caps supplied I suspect are easily lost. I managed to find a cover for telescopic sites from Butler Creek.

     

    They do a range of sizes and I found a perfect fit for my S&S VF45

     

    See attached pictures. They are made for outdoor use, but for £10 I'm happy to replace when it wears out.

     

    This might have been covered before in other posts, but thought it was worth a share.

     

    Regards

    Craig

    post-4127-0-60196300-1498150631_thumb.jpg

    post-4127-0-88336600-1498150782_thumb.jpg

    Edited by craig nelson
  2. Craig,

     

    Thank you! Just ordered one for my wife's Nauticam housing after its cover escaped during our most recent dive trip.

     

    Tom

  3. great ! Stuff , glad I was of some help

  4. Great! Can anybody tell me which one (size) I would need for the Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder?

     

    Thanks in advance!

     

    Sascha

  5. You need to measure you optic diameter with a set of calipers

     

    You can then select the next largest size from their range mine was 0.3mm oversized which was a perfect fit.

     

    Regards

    Craig

  6. Dear Craig,

     

    I've tried to attach all kinds of protection to my viewfinder after I lost the rubber cap: spray can caps, bottle caps and so on.

     

    The Butler Creek covers are not easy to find in Europe, but I found a supplier and the cover just came in. It fits perfectly, I'm happy as a kid now :-)

     

    What a great tip. Thank you.

     

    Rollin

    Edited by rollin
  7. I'm just in Bali at present using mine. Works a total treat. I grabbed mine from EBay if that helps anyone.

     

    Regards

    Craig

  8. I bought mine now at Amazon Germany. The #30390 works fine with my Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder..

    Edited by SMY
  9. I have bought the 30340 for my 45° viewfinder (M43 type). Snug fit!

     

    Found it at Pecheur.com.

    Edited by rollin
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.