Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Does anybody use unbranded DSLR soft camera bags for snorkeling/freediving?

Started by pat ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Does anybody use unbranded DSLR soft camera bags for snorkeling/freediving?

2 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I have a low end Nikon APS-C DSLR and would like to bring it in a sea trip, however given that I very seldomly have the possibility to take a good dive, I think I can't justify investing much into an expensive acrylic housing.

     

    My search landed on soft DSLR camera bags, some unbranded ones being particularly affordable. I bought and tested one with a stone and paper in it and it's holding everything dry so far, may I consider this as a disposable bag for a few uses or would you recommend against it?

     

    Do any of you have successfully used these?

     

    Thank you

     

    Pat

  2. Taking photos while snorkeling/freediving is infinitely more difficult than taking pictures while scuba diving, and this difficulty is amplified if you are using a large DSLR, and amplified even more if it is difficult to use the controls of the DSLR through a bag housing.

     

    I would suggest you look at a small point and shoot with an affordable housing, or a gopro (if video is to your liking). For a similar cost, you'll get better results in your situation.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.