Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Blackwater tips?

Started by guyharrisonphoto ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Blackwater tips?

3 posts
  1. Doing my first blackwater dive tomorrow nite.

     

    My rig is the OMD-EM5 mark 1, nauti housing, Oly 60mm macro, Keldan 4x video, one S&S YS-D1 strobe.

     

    No idea for settings.

     

    Should I spot meter and link the metering to the focus point?

     

    Recommended aperture and shutter and ISO just as a starting point?

     

    I assume continuous AF

     

    TTL flash if exposure is linked to focus point. If not, what manual settings?

     

    Will the Keldan (6K lumens) be bright enough so I don't need the strobe?

     

    Strobe positioning tips for backscatter?

     

    Any help would be appreciated, I have no idea of where to begin . . .

     

    Thanks!!

  2. My experience is with the Pelagic Magic dive off Kona.

    Lots of stuff in the water, backscatter a problem. Lights widely off center essential.

    Everything moving, so strobe helps with stop-motion.

    If sharks are around, video lights not recommended.

    Focusing my biggest problem: can't focus in the dark......

    I did not get any good pix.

     

    Imagine trying to photograph a jelly that is drifting by, in the dark. Now make the jelly more tenuous, and longer. Now make it smaller.

  3. For me, I set all of the focus points on when I shoot autofocus and for me, I think the 30 lens is a bit easier to shoot in black water. Most of my keeper pics were gotten by setting the lens on manual focus at say 12 inches from the port and then shooting when the beast gets into focus.

    Enjoy Bill

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.