Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

my fiber optics won't stay put

Started by RogerC ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

my fiber optics won't stay put

11 posts
  1. The o-rings on my fiber optic cable rotted and fell off. I replaced them with the smallest, thinnest, o-rings I had, but no luck: the new o-rings are so large or so stiff that I can't get them inserted anymore. I took the o-rings off, but now they are really loose and just falling out. I hold them in with blue tape, hair ties, whatever I can find. Nothing works well. Any tips? I think I need to find a source for really small o-rings with a really soft durometer.

  2. The o-rings on my fiber optic cable rotted and fell off. I replaced them with the smallest, thinnest, o-rings I had, but no luck: the new o-rings are so large or so stiff that I can't get them inserted anymore. I took the o-rings off, but now they are really loose and just falling out. I hold them in with blue tape, hair ties, whatever I can find. Nothing works well. Any tips? I think I need to find a source for really small o-rings with a really soft durometer.

    Hi Roger

     

    The o-rings are a Parker size 2-007 5/32" id - 9-32 od 1/16 width or 3.68mm id 1.78mm width

     

    I hope this helps.

     

    bill

  3. The o-rings on my fiber optic cable rotted and fell off. I replaced them with the smallest, thinnest, o-rings I had, but no luck: the new o-rings are so large or so stiff that I can't get them inserted anymore. I took the o-rings off, but now they are really loose and just falling out. I hold them in with blue tape, hair ties, whatever I can find. Nothing works well. Any tips? I think I need to find a source for really small o-rings with a really soft durometer.

    Roger: Remind me again what your day job is. This (as opposed to your day job) is not rocket science. Try the

    http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_803_2202&products_id=38900

    these are yellow, you can get them in multiple colors as well. About 6 cents each.

     

    Cheers

     

    Bill

  4. if you want soft ones then you can get them at the same place

     

     

    B50007 -007 B50 (NBR) Buna-N Nitrile 50 Duro O-Ring

    5/32"ID X 9/32"OD X 1/16"CS Buna-N O-Rings 50 Duro (NBR): The most commonly used elastomer for sealing products. Nitrile, also known...

    3785

    $0.09

    Add:

    Min: 6

    Edited by blibecap
  5. Thanks, everyone. The smallest size I've tried is:

     

    #006 ID:1/8" x OD:1/4" CS:1/16"

     

    and it's damn small and hard to get on, but still too big. Mine are hard, though, 70 durometer, maybe something softer would mash flat and make it into the bore.

     

    The 007 is a size bigger, guess I'll try a 005.

     

    Hey Bill... if there is one fundamental truth in rocket science, it's getting the right size oring, believe me.

  6.  

     

    Hey Bill... if there is one fundamental truth in rocket science, it's getting the right size oring, believe me.

     

    Brilliant! (and, yeah, sadly true)

  7. Hi Roger

     

    Thanks for the reply. You are correct the Parker size 2-007 5/32" id - 9-32 od 1/16 width or 3.68mm id 1.78mm width is not correct. I went back and remeasured the o-ring on my INON, Sea&Sea, Ikelite fiber optics and they are Parker size 2-006 1/8" 1/4" 1/16". What brand is your fiberoptic cables? The normal durometer is 70 but you can get a softer one, 50 durometer.

     

    On a different subject, yes I understand that rocket science and o-rings are important. Please not that there are two different Bill's trying to provide help with your question. I never mentioned rocket science.

     

    Bill

  8. I​ am in need of replacement O-rings for a sea and sea fiber optic cable. SS50128,can anyone tell me the correct size ? thank you very much...

  9. I​ am in need of replacement O-rings for a sea and sea fiber optic cable. SS50128,can anyone tell me the correct size ? thank you very much...

  10. Parker size 2-006 1/8" 1/4" 1/16

    In metric sizes, the closest is probably 1.5 mm cross x 3 mm ID.

    Cheers

     

    Bill

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.