Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam housing flood

Started by Jetor ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam housing flood

8 posts
  1. Good night, today I have suffered a flood in my nauticam housing. The weird thing is during my first dive everything was ok, and for the first 30 minutes of the second one as well. But suddenly the pressure alarm began to ring. Tomorrow I will bring the housing to my local dealer, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any clue of what could happened. Thank you

     

    Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

    I was lucky because the camera it s ok.

     

    Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

  2. Oyyy, really sorry to read that, Jetor.

     

    Curious that it should take 30 minutes into the second dive. Did you open the housing between Dive 1 and Dive 2?

     

    Is it possible the port shifted?

  3. That's a real worrying issue. Sorry to hear. :-(

     

    I've had the pressure light (mine alarms only on the moisture sensor?) come on, due to a slight difference on tolerance between a zen dome and Nauticam housing. I managed to repeat the issue by moving/jarring the dome. No other domes/ports I have the same issue.

     

     

    Regards - Richard

  4. Thanks for your support, I was lucky and the camera its OK! I was 10 meter deep and my quick reaction saved the camera.

    I didn't t open the camera between the 2 dives... The last thing I did before the alarm start was to put the cmc... First time during the 2 dives...

     

    Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

  5. Wow, you were lucky! Exellent

     

    Hmmm, I do wonder if fitting that CMC led to the port twisting and causing a leak.

  6. When I first had my Nauticam housing I occasionally got a small leak which seemed to be due to a poor quality o-ring. It once happened on the safety stop at the end of the dive having been fine at depth - I guess the pressure made it seat better. Renewing the o-ring sorted the problem. The original felt like it had a slight 'bump' at one point - not enough to see but just detectable by touch.

  7. Sorry to hear about your flooding. I hope you will be able to assess where the problem is.

     

    Two years ago I had a recurring floodings on my old Nauticam housing. It's hard to write it was caused by a wrong o-ring installed from Nauticam HK during an annual service.

    I saved the camera in three different floodings. All of them at > 60m.

    After being sent to nauticam HK for another inspection they told me that everything was ok but it come back with a different o-ring. I'm sure because after the first inspection they sent me a spare o-ring that I was able to compare after the second inspection. Same lenght different diameter. Much larger. Never received an explanation. Now everything is ok and I tested it up to 110m, well beyond nominal depth rating.

     

    I even have a video of the first flooding... I was framing a Pennatula Rubra (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennatulidae) while I saw the water on the port via the display :o Fortunately there's no audio...

     

    Look at this horror movie:

     

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGkA8wcBdnnRmU1r1

    Edited by Davide DB
  8. First time my leak alarm went off, it was due to small amounts of water collecting inside from condensation / not fully drying the housing whenever i opened it. Eventually there was enough to work its way down to the leak sensor to go off. Was easy to check as I tasted the water and it wasn't salty. No damage to the camera or housing.

     

    Second time I was on the 3rd dive of the trip and it went off at 30meters due to one of the button o-rings. teaspoon of water got in, tipped it forward so it would pool in the doom. Camera was fine, housing electronics was fried. Got the whole thing rebuilt and 200 dives later still working.

     

    If you dive enough, its a question of when you will flood, not if. Diving and saltwater is a very unforgiving environment to equipment. I've come to realize that unexplainable failures isn't whats weird; its going long stretches with no failures that is weird. Somethings bound to break down soon.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.