Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Furry crab

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Furry crab

6 posts
  1. Furry crab

    Hi Everyone,

     

    I snapped this chap on a late night dive last night. Here are the stats:

     

    Location: East End, Grand Cayman. At night.

    Depth: 10m, 30ft.

    Size: Carapace about an inch across.

     

    Looks like a type of Majid to me, but don't have a clue about the species. Attached are two views.

     

    Alex

  2. Haven't a clue; but what a great shot.

  3. Nodose Rubble Crab. Paractaea rufopunctata.

  4. I've seen a couple of those over the years, one was bright red, and one was yellow.

     

    I saw them on fire coral and a sea fan.

     

    I just called them small crabs, but I don't think they are Majid's (aren't they decorators ?) Anyone got a reference pic of a Nodose Ruble Crab .. i can't find one anywhere.

     

    These guys are kinda cool to see though. they are very funky looking.

  5. Giles, there is a photo on page 209 of Humann's 2nd Edition Reef Creature ID Book for Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas.

  6. Thanks for that Ellen - I only have the 1st Edition!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.