Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D850-discuss!

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D850-discuss!

20 posts
  1. d850_001.jpg

     

    Nikon has announced the new D850

     

    Specs are pretty impressive:

     

    45.7 MP

    7fps

    Native ISO range: 64-25,600 (Nikon are claiming a full stop of extra ISO performance, with no reduction in dynamic range)

    AF from D5/D500

    Uncropped 4K UHD video

    120fps 1080 HD output

    Focus peaking and zebras

    Extended battery life

    Dual card slots

     

    Nikon's press release is here:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/articles/nikon-announces-the-d850-full-frame-slr-camera

     

    There is also a great resource aggregating information about the new camera here:

     

    https://www.facebook.com/NikonD850camera/

     

    So...will it tempt underwater photographers?

     

    Adam

    Edited by adamhanlon
  2. Cross posting, but it looks like it will not fit into existing housings....

     

    Nikon-D500-vs-D850-vs-D810-comparison-1.jpg

     

    Nikon-D500-vs-D850-vs-D810-comparison.jpg

     

    Images from Nikon Rumors.

    Edited by adamhanlon
  3. I wonder how soon the Nauticam NA-850 will be available.

  4. Looks to be an epic camera though I will wait and see what the D500 upgrade holds. Hopefully, we can get 4K 60p no crop and 12fps same sensor or a bit better, but it will be a few years. I will rent this body though for some of my client jobs that need that full frame type of look and high pixel count.

  5. So finally I ordered the D850 and hope that Nauticam will soon offer a housing.....any ideas how long this usually takes until a housing is available? It‘s like waiting for Christmas....

  6. On the housing page of their website, Subal are taking pre-orders for a D850 housing .... no date as yet.

  7. I'm interested also in how fast Adobe will offer D850 support in Lightroom....

  8. Thanks Adam! Very good news!!!

  9. Hi Adam, to the best of my knowledge, great performance in capturing dynamic range is part of what makes up that score, so surely it uw photographers would benefit from it?

  10. I'm very intrigued by this camera! Will you guys be doing a review on it for underwater use, Adam?

  11. We are struggling to get hold of a camera body for a review.

     

    I would imagine that once we get one, we will perform a review...

     

    Adam

  12. I have D850 since its launch to replace my D810 and just came back from a trip to Indonesia with my Nauticam D850 housing.

    This is the first FF setup underwater for me though as my last rig was D7100. Worked pretty well but I still need to get a bit more

    familiarized with changing from aps-c to FF. Macro is a bit of a pain as my working distance is completely changed and I will need to

    change my domeport from 200mm (worked well with my 10-17, 16-35 with apsc camera) to 230mm. AF is better which is not surprising. The new natural light wb works really well with Inon strobes and wb calibration against my white fin at depth up to 10m

    is very convenient and more accurate than with my d7100. May be because of bigger dof issue, I never had to adjust my AF fine tune on D7100 with my 105/2.8 VR but with d850, AF fine tune is a must. Luckily auto fine tune feature is very handy. A bit annoying that at usual macro distance, it was +7 but at further distance 3-5m, it was like -13. But for underwater stuff, it does not matter since I would be using it at near minimum focusing distance anyhow.

  13. Nikon D850 vs Canon 5D M4?? Which one to buy??

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.