Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Any benefit to 140mm dome?

Started by Draq ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Any benefit to 140mm dome?

7 posts
  1. I am curious. I use the Olympus 8mm FE in a Zen 100mm dome on a Nauticam housing and find the edges to be fine and have no vignetting. I like the small size of the dome for CFWA.

     

    Nauticam offers a 140mm dome for this lens and I suppose the slightly larger dome might be better for over/under shots, but otherwise, is there any benefit to this larger dome? Are edges better, different distortion characteristics or???

  2. The current UWPMAG.com #97 has my review if you care to read that, I have used both port plus several more for the M43 8mm Fisheyes.

  3. Thanks Phil. I had read your review and I could tell you were pleased with the 140. I was just wondering if anyone had a more direct comparison between the 100 and 140.

  4. The ZEN port is excellent with the 30mm extension for the Olympus 8mm Fisheye. The Nauticam port is also excellent and can be used with the 20mm and 17mm extensions for both the Olympus 8mm Fisheye and the 12mm which is a great lens for models.

  5. I am using the Zen with the 30mm extension and am happy with it. Mostly, I was just curious about the 140.

  6. I am using the Zen-DP170-N20 with 30mm extension and the Zuiko 8m FE (NA-EM5II). I would prefer the Zen DP100 with extension, because I can get closer and also the travel weigth is less.

     

    @Phil: would the image quality suffer substantially, when I use the DP100, compared to the DP170?

     

    Thanks, Wolfgang

  7. No, unless you are doing split images in which cals the bigger the dome the better.

    Edited by Phil Rudin
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.