Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

choosing a flipper

Started by alcina ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

choosing a flipper

8 posts
  1. I'm looking for a flip holder for dioptres as screwing one on and off underwater is a bit of a pain in the numpty. Here's what i have:

    Nauticam housing

    Nauticam 100mm macro port with threaded front

    Subal 60 macro port with no threads

    Nauticam SMC

    Noodilab dioptre

    Subsee +10

     

    I'd like to be able to take two dioptres and ideally have one flipper for both ports. I may add a Nauticam port with threads for the 60 macro at some stage, but haven't decided yet.

    I've had people tell me that the flips don't work very well and it's better to screw/unscrew as needed, but then others have said they only use the flip holders.

     

    I really need some advice and guidance. Thanks.

  2. I think you will need two flip holders. The Nauticam flip will hold (I think) any of the lenses; they all have 67 mm threads. For the subal you will need a different flip adapter (think SAGA).

     

    Bill

  3. I know what you mean. I though that I could manually screw a Subsee on and off, and resisted a flip adapter for a while. But the Nauticam flip is a beauty, it works flawlessly and is as secure as a rock. True it is a bit expensive, the convenience is well worthwhile

  4. OK, yeah, I have a single flip for the Subal already and have used it with the SubSee but was advised by several that it wouldn't work well with the SMC or Noodilab.

     

    That's the same thing I've been told about the Nauticam flip, too. Was looking for reassurance, I guess, that the SMC and Noodilab would be usable without too much hassle. looks like at least a couple of you think that's so :)

  5.  

     

    OK, yeah, I have a single flip for the Subal already and have used it with the SubSee but was advised by several that it wouldn't work well with the SMC or Noodilab.

     

    Depends on how old it is, the SMC won't fit in Mary's Saga flip adapter (which is a few years old) but it fits nicely in the newer versions.

  6. As long as they fit and work in anything I buy new, it's good :) looking at the nauti dual flip...


    As long as they fit and work in anything I buy new, it's good :) looking at the nauti dual flip...

  7. I did not realize you could use the SMC with another diopter, other than the SMC Multiplier. Have you tried it?

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.