Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Editing Olympus cameras

Started by ryann1k2j ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Editing Olympus cameras

4 posts
  1. I asked this question in the Video Gear and Technique page and would like to ask it here as well.

    It's a very newbie question, but one I'm having difficulty getting an answer to. I want to branch out with my E-PL5 (cuz it's what I got) into video and Premiere Elements was suggested as good, basic, affordable software upon which to start learning editing. There seems to be comment on the web--a lot of it--that despite advertisement to the contrary, various incarnations of PE won't acknowledge Olympus' .MOV or .AVI formats without it first being switched into some other format. Olympus' emphasis seems to be on photography, not video, and perhaps that's why contacting them directly was of very limited assistance. Has anyone else experienced and resolved this difficulty, or can anyone suggest other, perhaps better, video editing software suggestions that fit the above parameters (good, basic, affordable)?

  2. I don't see people having problem with Olympus video. I'm a Panasonic shooter so I can't give much advise on how to deal with Olympus. However, first thing is you need to find out what codec is use by Olympus. What video player do you use to review your videos? The video player should be able to give you info like the codec, bitrate etc. Most videos from camera are H.264 these days so it should be easy to edit on any computer. .avi or .wmv tend to be not that friendly for video editing software. mov files is easier to edit in Mac (what OS are you using?). The common video to edit on the PC is .mp4.

  3. I use both Premiere Elements (13) and that camera and have no issues. I'm on a Mac. I don't know if that would matter.

    Edited by Vondo
  4. Hi, kc_. I'm on Windows, The I-P:5 is Mpeg4 AVCH 264 or, alternatively, AVC, with the former housed in .MOV. Unfortunately .MOV is not a video format, it's a container which can hold videos in different formats, including Olympus' proprietary format, not all of which can--or could--be handled by Premiere Elements. Vondo, above, cites no problems with PE 13, which made me recheck some of the online complaints again. I noticed most were before 2015, so perhaps the difficulty has since been corrected? I hope so,and will tell yall what I find. Thanks for the help and input!

    Edited by ryann1k2j

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.