Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Brisbane, Aug 11-12. Keep me company!

Started by echeng ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Brisbane, Aug 11-12. Keep me company!

17 posts
  1. Brisbane, Aug 11-12. Keep me company!

    Hey guys. I'm going to be in Brisbane on August 11th, for the entire day (and much of Aug 12, too). Anyone out there have time to meet up? :D

     

    I'll be at the Holiday Inn on Roma St. ph (011 61) 7 3238 2222. Flight gets in at 8:20AM on the 11th, and I'll check in as soon as I can after that!

  2. Brisbane isn't noted for it's diving...

     

    You've chosen the right country, just the wrong coastline. Let me know if you're over on the west coast.

     

    :D

     

    P.S. Posting from Pannawonica tonight, which is also not exactly known for it's diving, being in the middle of the desert and all. But the Montebello islands are 'just up the road'.

  3. I'm just migrating through Brisbane to get to the Solomon Islands. :D Will be there 8:20AM on the 11th to 6PM on the 12th!

  4. Rob.... i am keen to check out the west coast in nnovember / december...... any recomendations - I prefer macro, and since i am dragging some family along, i need to have a shore base.....

     

    thanks for ur advice.

  5. Brisbane isn't noted for it's diving...

     

    Horsepuckey (as they say over here).

     

    Curtin Artificial Reef off Moreton Island, Flinder's Reef (at top of Moreton), South Stradbroke Island... all of these are worthy dive sites.

     

    Better still is going down to Byron Bay (about 3 hours drive south of Brisbane), for some of the cooler water species.

     

    But, with the time you have to spare, Eric, and the time of the year you will be there, I might suggest you go up in to the mountains behind Brisbane, to Mt Glorious and the surrounding forests. There is some really cool stuff up there, and it makes a good circular drive from central Brisbane.

     

    I can supply a route description if required :D Can even tell you the best place to stop for Devonshire Tea :D (I used to live up there...)

  6. Horsepuckey (as they say over here).

     

    Curtin Artificial Reef off Moreton Island, Flinder's Reef (at top of Moreton), South Stradbroke Island...  all of these are worthy dive sites.  

     

    Better still is going down to Byron Bay (about 3 hours drive south of Brisbane), for some of the cooler water species.

     

    I guess the diving there is so good you're recommending driving 3 hours to another state to dive? Or ditching the diving altogether to have tea and scones???

    :D:D:D

     

    Byron does go off, it's a great surf spot too. But it's not in Queensland even, let alone being in Brisbane.

     

    I'm actually from Brisbane initially, I've just renounced my citizenship and moved west. But if Eric really wants to do devonshire tea, I'm sure my Grandma will take him out.

     

    I'm still trying to work out 'horsepuckey' - will use the google translation feature as soon as they add a 'texan-to-english' option.

     

    :D

  7. Rob....  i am keen to check out the west coast in nnovember / december...... any recomendations - I prefer macro, and since i am dragging some family along, i need to have a shore base.....

     

    thanks for ur advice.

     

    Caveman, I really only know the Northwest well.

     

    Exmouth or Coral Bay as a base for Ningaloo Reef is the only real developed dive site up this way. there's multiple dive operators. Novemebr /December is pretty hot, but I did camp out up there for 2 weeks last December. It's a great time for sea turtles, and there's excellent shore diving/snorkelling if you have a family in tow. But no whales or whalesharks at that time of year.

     

    Dampier archipelago where I'm based is much less developed. There's one dive shop (new) which goes out once per week. No shore diving. But I believe it has great potential as there's heaps of coral amd marine life around the archipelago.

     

    Montebello Islands via liveaboard or Rowley Shoals further north would be great, rarely dived locales. The availability of liveaboards going to these places is (very) sporadic - hey, we need to organise a wetpixel expedition to the Montebellos!

     

    Drop me a line if you're coming up this way,

     

    Rob

  8. Thanks a million Rob, I have been searchign the web for locations, and for me the further north the better. I live in Thailand and generally freeze in water less than 26 C ( no kidding ! ) and air.... i like it about 30+ as you can warm up after dives. I am not really into Big stuff, Thailand has plenty of whale sharks and pelagics, I am more into macro / super macro these days. Exmouth has alot of macro ? ( my kind of stuff ... http://www.carlgoodier.com/trip5.htm or http://www.carlgoodier.com )

     

    If there is some nice coral my daughter can snorkel on, she will be happy, and if there is a basic hotel around, the Mrs is happy too...... ( its not easy keeping every one happy ! ).

  9. Byron does go off, it's a great surf spot too.  But it's not in Queensland even, let alone being in Brisbane.  

     

    However, as it is significantly closer to Brisbane than Sydney, we like to think of it as ours...

     

    My first open water dive was in the Tweed River (yuck :D), but at least it was on the Queensland side.

     

    I've heard that there's some decent diving up near Noosa as well, but I have never had the chance to check it out.

  10. If there is some nice coral my daughter can snorkel on, she will be happy, and if there is a basic hotel around, the Mrs is happy too...... ( its not easy keeping every one happy ! ).
    ´

     

    Caveman, Check out the Ningaloo reef Resort. I stayed there with family, reef is just metres away with great snorkelling for kids. Lots of fish as well as small sharks, rays and turtles. Tents are on the beach.

    see picture.

    Cheers Lars

  11. Thanks...... will check it out...........

  12. So that's what an Australian resort looks like...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  13. not sure my self, but I dont think non-divers would be very happy. Any real diving resorts in that area ? I cant see my self setting my camera up in a sandy tent, your bound to get a flood.

  14. Ningaloo Reef Resort

    Its fine for nondivers. My wife and son only snorkel. You have kayaks and the beach

    is very friendly. Tents are fine, you can easily set up your gear there.

    No diving at this place but they picked me up in the morning. Otherwise I felt Exmouth

    was pretty ordinary and not really my thing .... but of course this was my personal opinion

    Another pic of the main tent and Whaleshark

    Cheers Lars 8)

  15. So that's what an Australian resort looks like...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Five star, mate! :D

     

    I've never been convinced it was worth paying $150 a night to sleep out under the stars in a swag at the Ningaloo Reef 'Resort'. If you want to camp, try Mesa Camp or similar up the road for $10 per site per night (of course, you need your own gear). You can dive at their beach for free, it simialr to much of the other great snorkel sites along ningaloo reef.

     

    Sorry, um, there's no luxury resort. There was going to be one built at Maud's Landing, but too many people (including me) campaigned against it. Oops, looks like that was the sort of place you wanted to stay in!

     

    There's accomodation in Exmouth. My neighbours own a flat there that they rent out. Exmouth is the main base for Scuba, but if you want to snorkel from the shore you've got to drive/bus around to Ningaloo to near where that 'resort' is. Turquoise Bay is the most popular spot, and also my favourite shore snorkel. Great for turtle pics in December - should be nesting season. I have a good recipe for turtle eggs if you need it (fellow I dive with used to eat the Ningaloo turtle eggs in his younger days - probably not appreciated if you tried it now!)

     

    I've always camped out their, and snorkeled only. I'm happy to recommend the snorkelling and beaches, and the whale sharks in a good year (not Dec though). Also good for whale watching (now). I've heard mixed reports about the Scuba diving there though, and never actually having dived with a tank on there myself I'll defer to other's opinions

    . I know a couple of folk who run a dive operation there so if you're heading that way I'll send you their details.

     

    P.S. Lawrence - nice whaleshark shot!

  16. hey,

     

    thanks Rob, Seriously, thanks. Your the only one who has given me some insights to that area, and if you need the run down on the local deals for Andaman Sea / Burma...... by all means IM me and I can help you ( if you dont know already ur self ).

     

    For me, I am happy to camp, problem is the people following me dont...... so it makes it very difficult.........

     

    sounds like if there is some really good diving there, there might be an opportunity for someone to plant a nice resort there. .........( might be my retirement plan one day ! )

  17. P.S. Lawrence - nice whaleshark shot!

     

    Thanks Rob

    and thanks for your offer to visit if I came North. Maybe next year

    Cheers

    Lars

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.