Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fang Blenny?

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Fang Blenny?

11 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    This one is driving me mad!

     

    Taken in Lembeh, Indonesia

     

    Any ideas (it is probably something simple?)

     

     

    161001-ahanlon-506603.jpg

     

    Thank you

     

    Adam

  2. I just went through all the blennies in Reef Fish of the East Indies (Allen and Erdmann) and in Reef Fish ID of the Tropical Pacific (Allen, et al), and find nothing similar. I'd really discount fangblenny, due to head shape and habitat.

  3. So it's not just me....!

     

    Thank you.

     

    Adam

  4. Checkout Black Coralblenny, Ecsenius namiyei. Page 367 in Reef Fish Tropical Pacific, Allen et al. They mention a color phase when resting or inside a hole and mention the wavy white line from the corner of the mouth to behind eyes.

  5. Checkout Black Coralblenny, Ecsenius namiyei. Page 367 in Reef Fish Tropical Pacific, Allen et al. They mention a color phase when resting or inside a hole and mention the wavy white line from the corner of the mouth to behind eyes.

    That's a real possibility. The four cirri may be the ID. (By the way, the description and pictures of this guy in Allen et al are much better than in Allen and Erdmann.)

  6. I have something weird going on?

     

    Ecsenius namiye in my Reef Fish Tropical Pacific, (both 1st and 2nd editions) is a yellowtail blenny-with no mention of holes or wavy white lines...

     

    Am I being dense here?

     

    ​Thank you again.

     

    Adam

  7. I've got the second edition. Page 367 bottom of page on left says ...either gray or yellow tail. Bottom of the page on right shows pic of Phase sitting in hole with the wavy lines and spot markings on head. Is it possible that they expanded their second edition at some point?

     

    Also, if you look on Fishbase, the last photo has the lines and spots.

     

    Craig

  8. The image on Fishbase look most similar and was taken in Lembeh.

     

    I have figured out the issue with my Reef Fish Tropical Pacific. They call it "Yellowtail Blenny," rather than Namiye's combtooth blenny or black coralblenny!

     

    The coloration seems close and the 4 cirri probably seal it.

     

    Thank you all, very much appreciated.

     

    Adam

  9. The image on Fishbase look most similar and was taken in Lembeh.

     

    I have figured out the issue with my Reef Fish Tropical Pacific. They call it "Yellowtail Blenny," rather than Namiye's combtooth blenny or black coralblenny!

     

    The coloration seems close and the 4 cirri probably seal it.

     

    Thank you all, very much appreciated.

     

    Adam

    Odd. I find no mention of a Yellowtail Blenny in my 2nd Edition. What I find is what chowe finds:

    post-16735-0-62791800-1506174088_thumb.jpg

  10. I think I must have an intermediate version of the 2nd edition...

     

    I've just checked my pdf version and it is as above...

     

    Thanks again. The Phase picture nails it!

     

    Adam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.