Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17

Started by CADiver ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17

11 posts
  1. Hi, there

     

    My Tokina 10-17 finally RIP ... So instead of buying another Tokina 10-17 which is certainly an option. What might be alternative that will work in DX and potentially better fit for FX in the near future ?! At the moment I am using Nikon D90 in Nexus housing with the small/mini dome. Works very well. I may upgrade to put my D610 in a housing but I have not schedule for that yet. So should I just get another 10-17 or consider Sigma 15 which will work for FX but probably not wide enough for DX but would it still work ?

    Other option ?

     

    I am looking at BH, what is the differences of the 2 other than the hood ??

     

    Thank you for reading ...

    Dominic

    22220053_10155592345608820_8546068358608

  2. Hi Dominic

     

    I’m pretty sure the two 10-17s are the same - except for the removal of the hood.

     

    I’m going through a similar exercise as you. I’ve got the Sigma 15mm but have not yet had chance to try it on DX. On FX it’s my goto wideangle lens underwater. But I doubt it’d be great with DX. Presumably you’ve thought of the Nikon 10.5 DX?

     

    Others I have mulled over are the Nikkor 10-24 and 10-20. But not sure they’re as well liked or as successful as the Tokina.

     

    So I came to the conclusion that it’s the Tokina 10-17 and that it’ll need band aiding and tape once in a while.

  3. Thanks Tim, my Tokina is beyond duck taping ... the last 9 months been that, super glue, etc. Now the motor just won't even move but just making ugly noise ...

  4. Hi guys,

     

    I moved this to the SLR forum...

     

    The obvious solution is the new Nikon 8-15mm fisheye that will works happily on both FX and DX cameras. It also seemed to be much better built that the 10-17mm and I would expect it to last considerably longer!

     

    The Sigma 15mm does not work well on DX.

     

    Nikon 10-24 and 10-20 are both rectilinear wide angle lens and need big domes etc as a result.

     

    Adam

    Edited by adamhanlon
  5. Hi, Adam, have you been able to do more test with the Nikon 8-15mm? Is that nasty flare it creates in some photos that both you and Alex reported on not a big problem?

  6. 8-15mm, will have to look into it. Might work.

     

    Is the Tokina 11-16 not suitable for underwater ? Seem not much discussion ...

    22219875_10155594628328820_7638574182664

  7. I think we need to clear on what you are wanting to do here...

     

    The 10-17mm is a fisheye lens. The 11-16mm is a rectilinear lens.

     

    Apples vs oranges..

     

    @Geo-I have been diving the 8-15mm a fair bit. I think the flare was due to the lack of dome port shades. I have been primarily using it on my D500 with a SEACAM Compact (7") port (with shades attached) and have had no further issues.

     

    I will do some more testing next time I have a lot of sun. It is in slightly short supply in the uK at the moment...

     

    In the context of the OP's query, the 8-15mm will offer fisheye performance on both DX and FX cameras. It is sharper than the 10-17mm and focuses slightly faster.

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  8. Does the Nikon 8-15 lens diameter differs from the Tokina 10-17. Just wonder if I need a different focus ring to fit over the lens for the housing to work ...

    Can someone show a picture of the 2 lens side by side please ?

     

    Thanks !

  9. Hi Dominic,

     

    The 8-15mm does need a different zoom ring. The 10-17mm one does not fit.

     

    Adam

  10. Will the Nikon 8-15 work in small domes made for the 10-17? I use a Nexus 1017 dome.

    The minimum focus length on the 10-17 is just under 14mm and the 8-15 is at 16mm.

    The Nikon is also longer, would I need an extension?

     

    dave

  11. Hi, if you are considering replacing your Tokina AT-X 10-17,

    I have one for sale, in perfect condition, with Nikon mount, both lens covers and Tokina box.

    Used once with my D800, worked fine. But I discovered I am not a wide angle shooter, I just shoot macro.

    Location: Los Angeles, CA. 100% eBay rating. Paypal. email: 68.elias@gmail.com

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.