I want to build an underwater motorized timelaps slider. Has anyone experience with this kind of project?
Rollin
Read-only discussion
I want to build an underwater motorized timelaps slider. Has anyone experience with this kind of project?
Rollin
Depends on what you are really trying to do. If it were me rather than make a complex housing for a motor I would get an Aluminum (aluminium for the rest of the world) slider and build an elastic/spring driven gear system from nylon parts. No need to make anything waterproof.
Bill
Thank you for your ideas. I've been thinking about that route as well, but it sounds easier than it really is. I've been looking the net all over for a plastic driven gear with a reliable escapement. It is not that easy to build your own. Propulsion is no problem, an elastic band can do the trick. It is the escapement that is hard.
Waterproofing an engine is not that hard, one could buy a cheap Meikon housing which has waterproof shafts. A small engine and a battery are enough to take a gopro some feet along the sea floor I guess.
I already have a alumin(i)um slider, which I use without propulsion, so that suggestion works. ;-)
Model submarines uses motorised gears/servos, maybe they could be re-purposed? http://www.rc-sub-workshop.com/ListTable.aspx?tp=r&rid=8
The cheapest and best escapements might be from music boxes (constant rate drive). Getting the Meikon housing to work might be harder than you think.
Bill
Why do you think the Meikon option is hard? I can control a stepper motor with a small arduino for example.
A music box escapement is not salt water resistant, and has to be built in a waterproof housing as well. But it is an interesting route, and also the model submarine solution. Thank you for that.
Getting the bits into and out of the Meikon could be a bit tricky. I was thinking of a very simple nylon gear escapement with a stainless steel spring. No housing needed. There are even lego ones.
BVA
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.