Would appreciate if anyone can id this image for me.
Image was taken in Milne Bay PNG, sorry about the quality I was using a 70-180 macro lens and the subject was too far away (more than 10 feet)
The critter took off after this shot.
thanks
ron
It is a finger dragonet, I think. No books here,so it might be another species of dragonet (relative of mandarinfish).
Alex
It is a finger dragonet, I think. No books here,so it might be another species of dragonet (relative of mandarinfish).
Alex
yes, i think it is. Tons in Philippines and Manado, they got this weird red mouth, and some got real nice fins on their back.......... ( got no clue what you call them, i just take their pictures )
( Manado )
( Puerto Gallaera, Phil. )
There are tons of different dragonets on Fishbase.org, with few photos. Here's one that fits the photo, as best as I can see it.
Could be a Threadfin dragonet: Callionymus filamentosus, which gets up to 20cm in length.
The other possibility is a Delicate dragonet, which is a much smaller species:Callionymus delicatulus. It only grows up to 6 cm., so if your critter is larger, the former id may answer your question.