Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Canon DLSR 'Error 20'

Started by sunnyboy010101 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon DLSR 'Error 20'

4 posts
  1. I have a Canon 7D (mark 1). Recently it started giving an "Error 20". Searching the internet this error appears to be a problem with the mirror movement mechanism.

     

    Has anyone experienced this problem, and is there any solution other than sending the camera back to Canon for service?

     

    My problem is the only service center shown for Canada is the other side of the country (Ontario), which means expensive shipping (and possible loss).

     

    I'm wondering if there's a quick fix or workaround.

  2.  

    Err 20

    Description: A malfunction with the mechanical mechanism has been detected.

    Resolution: Turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power on again.

  3. Yea, that' s the error. So far I'm good just powering off and on again. I've yet to have to pull the battery. I've read enough to know it's something involving the mirror lock-up when taking a shot, but there's been nothing else posted that I can find. Everyone so far ends up sending it back for service, but I'm trying/hoping to avoid that.

  4. Update: The error got so bad that the camera would not take a photo at all. So I sent it to a local (Vancouver Island) camera repair shop as Canon Canada is across the continent (in Ontario). The tech told me the shutter had failed, so they are putting in a new one.

     

    It will cost about half what used D7's are selling for right now, so I'm good with that. I will have essentially a new D7 again.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.