Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Using the Olympus 8 mm fisheye

Started by balexandrescu ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Using the Olympus 8 mm fisheye

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone,
    I shoot a Olympus E-M1 Mark II in a Nauticam housing and usually use the Olympus 7-14 mm lens and 60 mm macro in Nauticam ports. But I want to use my Olympus 8 mm fisheye more and have an old Zen DP-170 port that I was planning on using with it. My questions are:

    1. Would I need an extension ring along with the Zen DP-170 port when using the Olympus 8 mm PRO lens?

    2. Is there a better choice of ports for CFWA close focus wide angle type of shooting?

    Thanks so much!
    Bogdan

  2. Hi, I used the Olympus Pro 8mm FE with the NA-EM1 and the DP-170 without any extension.

    I also used the Nauticam 4,33"Dome with an 20mm extension.

    Kind regards

    Armin

  3. Hi Bogdan,

     

    I use the Zuiko 8mm FE with the Zen-DP170-N120 plus a 30mm extension. The regular DP170-N85 has a built in 30mm extension and can be used as it is. Only the DP170-N85-II, which has a built in 60mm extension, is not possible...

     

    I would be grateful if someone could show a direct comparison of Zuiko 8mm FE behind DP-170, Nauticam 140mm and Zen DP-100, whether there are differences in real world image quality...

     

     

    Wolfgang

  4. I find the Zen 100mm dome works really well for CFWA. I haven't tried a larger dome, but from what I have read, the 170 can make it difficult to get close to your subject and make strobe positioning more difficult. Hope that helps.

  5. I contacted Zen to ask what they thought gave best results (between the 170mm and 100mm) with the 8mm pro and they said the 100mm is the better option. Nauticam do the 140mm dome (4,33") that is a good option for both close up and WA.

  6. For split images and for wideangle the biger DP-170 would be the better choice.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.