Is anyone using a MacBook for editing (not the pro, just the MacBook).
Started by SCUBA Hank ·
5Posts
5Replies
Read-only discussion
Is anyone using a MacBook for editing (not the pro, just the MacBook).
5 posts
Hello UW Photographers!
I have been a religious MacBook PRO users for many years but I am trying to reduce the weight of my bags when I travel. I am considering downsizing to the regular MacBook from the PRO. It's much lighter and smaller to travel with.
Curious if anyone is editing large files or video on the regular MacBook with any luck? I am concerned about the performance.
I do realize I will probably end up transferring all my images to my PRO at home for final editing but looking to shed any weight possible for traveling..
All input and suggestions welcome!
-Hank
PS: Here is the link to the MacBook I am considering:
I think we are all suffering with that Reduce Weight At All Costs issue....
On a recent trip I decided I just had to leave gear behind and this had to include my MacBook. I bought a NextoDi back-up device: 1TB capacity, about the size of a small Passport Hard Drive, easy to charge from mains or car charger; can itself be backed up on to an external hard drive. And pretty fast. It handled about 400GB of images (all RAW files) whilst in Namibia and Botswana and uploaded easily to my iMac when I got back. I've used it now on a couple of dives trips and it has been excellent - and the MacBook stays at home. But, yes, I cannot edit or check the files - other than the system confirming it copied and verified them.
Maybe you are determined to be able to edit whilst travelling - but, if not, or you can perhaps manage - have a look at the Nexto.
I'm actually considering not taking the laptop and just taking more SD cards...and look after them! IIRC if you create jpeg copies on your 2nd SD card you can wifi tether your camera to your iPad to check these images with the Nikon software...the missus wont moan at me for spending all my trip behind the PC then!
Thanks for both of the replies above. Although I agree with both ideas, I find that if I don't actively spend (at least) my return flight home sorting, deleting and rating photos I never have time once I get back to work. Understanding the workflow is an important part of keeping the hobby fun and manageable, I wish it wasn't so taxing on the camera batteries and phones/ipads to theather then together. My iPad would fill up after every dive if I did it that way.
If I am honest about the small little Macbooks, they still have the charger, and the necessity for the adapters/dongles to connect to USB's and SD cards etc. What you shed in weight comes back in connectors etc.
What I wouldn't do for an Ipad with a SD slot right about now!
Hi Hank,
I've gone for the new 13" MacBookPro with the Touch Bar.
I had the 11" Air before and the 13" is only ever so slightly bigger, but its got a lovely P3 screen and all the performance of my work 2012 15"
The current 12" 'MacBook' with their CoreM CPU's aren't up to much in terms of Lightroom / FinalCutPro - so I don't think they are good enough for heavy use.
Plus the charger fro the Touch Bar 13" can be used as a normal USB charger - so saving taking something to charge your phone.