Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D750 vs. D500... decisions decisions

Started by ComeFromAway ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

D750 vs. D500... decisions decisions

2 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    My brain hurts from waffling between upgrading my UW kit to either the D750 vs. D500. I currently run a D7000 in an Ikelite housing and am ready to upgrade both. I also own a D750 (no fisheye for it though).

     

    Where my D7000 lacks: AF speed and accuracy. Lowlight performance.

     

    The above three things are what I'm most looking to improve upon. Compared to the D7000, the D750 is light years ahead on all three fronts. My main question is whether the D500's AF is significantly more advanced than the D750's to warrant buying a brand new body. Also, from image samples online and a few RAW unprocessed files that I downloaded the high ISO capabilities of the D500 seems incredible for a crop sensor camera, but I'd be very interested to hear thoughts from someone that's pushed their D500 above say ISO 3200 and/or has been able to shoot and compare both these Nikon models.

     

    The last consideration is video. I'm not a videographer by any stretch of the imagination, but believe whole-heartedly that it's the way of the future re: conservation storytelling (and just generally business-wise as the skill set to create a video seems to be valued more than the ability to shoot stills... hope that didn't open a can of worms/offend anyone... believe me that comes from a place of much frustration!) so I'm very much interested in pursuing that in 2018. 4K isn't a necessity since I'd really like the option of slowing footage down and thus see myself mostly operating at 1080/60 fps.

  2. D500 will let you keep your lenses. I'm not much at video, only done one, but found it easy to operate and got pretty good results for first try. Live view for video on the D500 doesn't give the best idea of focus, especially if screen is partially obscured by leveling marker. I shot at ISO 2500 and you could hardly tell. In brighter water at ISO 100, it should be very nice. D500 offers tons of focus choices and great autofocus. Almost too many choices. This has been one of my biggest challenges, as the menu is huge. I've experimented with various focus modes and it's hard to go wrong once you get the basic settings where you want them.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.