Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

A7 housing and light setup

Started by nico6450 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

A7 housing and light setup

2 posts
  1. Hello,

    I'm completely new to Underwater photography. I own a sony A7s (first generation), and I wish to buy a full setup (housing + strobes...) mainly for underwater photography, and for video from time to time.

     

    First of all, I read that A7 has some issue with white balance (magenta colour in the video).

    Does anyone experienced them? Does it appear only with ambient light?

     

    Regarding the housing, I wish to get an Ikelite housing due of the price that is much lower than Nauticam.

    Regarding strobe, what would be the best option?

    I was thinking about the DS161 due of the TTL compatibilities with housing, or the itorch SS2 due of its versatility photo/video.

     

    Any other recommendations will be appreciated!!!

  2. Ni Nico, you don't mention what type of UW photography you plan on doing, this may influence your choices. I would suggest also just because you already own a camera does not mean its the best choice to house and use UW. I shoot Canon and ended up buying an olympus setup. For one thing I could buy the housing/camera/lens for less than the price of a housing for my camera and the steup is smaller and easier to travel with. Do you already have a suitable lens for UW shooting? I'm not saying the Sony is a bad choice, just look at the total picture of what you need to buy before deciding.

     

    Regarding strobe choice I am using INON strobes triggered by fibre optics and once I got used to it use manual flash all the time. Ikelite TTL is reported to be good, but underwater TTL results can be quite variable. The other advantage to me of INON was that they are powered by AA Ni-MH batteries that I already have and chargers I have already rather than the proprietary pack used by Ikelite. They are also much more compact than the Ikelite strobes. Finally on housing choice don't underestimate the advantages of ergonomics underwater, the Nauticam housings are quite well setup and the vacuum system and port lock is great.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.