Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

TTL control for Olympus

Started by balexandrescu ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

TTL control for Olympus

6 posts
  1. This seems like a very interesting option, albeit a very expensive one.

    http://wetpixel.com/articles/trt-electronics-ships-the-o-turtle-ttl-flash-trigger-for-olympus

    I have been thinking of getting the Nauticam flash trigger for the Olympus E-M1 but it does not support TTL, unlike the o-Turtle option above.

    I have to admit, my main motivation is the horrendous battery life of the E-M1 with the native flash, but TTL control is definitely an interesting advantage.

    I really don't know if that justifies the price difference between the Nauticam flash trigger for Olympus and this o-Turtle. I imagine with it being so new on the market, there is little first hand experience.....

    Thoughts?

    Bogan

  2. Is the purpose of the trigger only to save battery?

    I use the on-camera flash to trigger at minimum output power. I guess this should not make much difference in comparison to the LED trigger...

     

    Or is it also possible to overcome the minimum flash synchronisation speed (e.g. 1/250) with such an extra LED trigger?

     

     

    Wolfgang

  3. Is the purpose of the trigger only to save battery?

    I use the on-camera flash to trigger at minimum output power. I guess this should not make much difference in comparison to the LED trigger...

     

    Or is it also possible to overcome the minimum flash synchronisation speed (e.g. 1/250) with such an extra LED trigger?

     

     

    Wolfgang

     

    The flash trigger saves both battery power and reduces recycle time of the on-camera flash (especially when shooting in TTL).

    I do think it also recycles faster compared to internal flash at low manual power but I have not tested that.

     

    Unfortunately I already bought the Nauticam trigger, the O-turtle looks promising. Does anyone know if this trigger reduces TTL accuracy?

  4.  

    The flash trigger saves both battery power and reduces recycle time of the on-camera flash (especially when shooting in TTL).

    I do think it also recycles faster compared to internal flash at low manual power but I have not tested that.

     

    Unfortunately I already bought the Nauticam trigger, the O-turtle looks promising. Does anyone know if this trigger reduces TTL accuracy?

     

    Hello everybody,

     

    The TTL question :

    We set the TURTLE to the perfect TTL mode, and try to tried all possibilities in surface and underwater also. If we find a bug in the software we repair this. :)

    We are in contact few professional photographer who test the products and we will make an article with testphotos for o-TURTLE and Olympus systems as soon as possible.

     

    The recharging and overheating is a problem if somebody use the internal flashes. Usually use more the 75% power in the internal flash for the perfect wideangle pictures. I think the internal flash makes 5-10 pictures in a minute and will be owerheat. The LED triggers works continuosly . The limit is the underwater strobe capacity. :)

     

    The second problem with the internal flashes is the flash tube characteristic. The internal flash and the underwater strobe characteristic not same. Just let's see the tube size! ;)

     

    I hope we can gives helpful answers.

    Have a nice day

    Balazs

  5. I am curious about how many flashes one can expect from a full charge, whether the unit fits in a EM1 II Nauticam housing and what delivery time to the USA is. Anyone have any information on these things?

  6. I am curious about how many flashes one can expect from a full charge, whether the unit fits in a EM1 II Nauticam housing and what delivery time to the USA is. Anyone have any information on these things?

    Hi..

     

    The first nikon version knows approximately 4000 full flashes. We did have not time to measure this , but i think the o-TURTLE will work more then 4000. :) The full charging time is 30 mintues.

    We will release a new version next week what can be fit in the olympus housing That will be the o-TURTLE45. I think You can read about that in the main page.

     

    The o-TURTLE is availabel now, and the new o-TURTLE45 will be available after next week! The USA shipping is one and half week with UPS!

     

    If you have any question don't hesitate to write me! :)

    Balazs

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.