Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

High quality less expensive sync cords?

Started by balexandrescu ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

High quality less expensive sync cords?

7 posts
  1. I've used the Nauticam to Inon sync cords in the past, but I'm wondering whether something less expensive would offer similar quality/reliability. Has anyone had experience (positive or negative) about the Howshot fiber optic sync cords? They are about 1/2 the price of the Nauticam option.

  2. No experience with those, but have used INON cables purchased in Japan which are a lot cheaper. I bought them from www.uwdigitalcamera.com service was reliable, though sometimes a little slow to respond to emails. items were sent by Japan post which was quite fast to Australia.

  3. I've used the Nauticam to Inon sync cords in the past, but I'm wondering whether something less expensive would offer similar quality/reliability. Has anyone had experience (positive or negative) about the Howshot fiber optic sync cords? They are about 1/2 the price of the Nauticam option.

     

    Have you tried making them? This was discussed a couple of years ago and might be worth a search. You can buy the various component parts and the fibre cable. I've not tried it but it sounded simple......

  4. I had not seen your question and have just posted the same question in the lights forum. I haven't received any responses. I did notice the Howshot cords are multi-strand. and that is usually desirable, but that is all I know. I have always used the nauticam cables but wanted to pickup another backup cable and the savings are appealing if these work well.

  5. I had not seen your question and have just posted the same question in the lights forum. I haven't received any responses. I did notice the Howshot cords are multi-strand. and that is usually desirable, but that is all I know. I have always used the nauticam cables but wanted to pickup another backup cable and the savings are appealing if these work well.

    Hi Draq,

    I just sent out an email query to UWdigitalcamera.com about their Inon branded fiberoptic cables. The description states that the cables are made in Japan and according to my conversion of Japanese Yen to the dollar they are comparable in price to the Howshot ones and the 10Bar ones. I'll let you know what they say as soon as I hear.

    Thus far I've usually shot manual, but I'm going to be trying out this new TTL system with my Olympus and the manufacturer recommended high quality multicore cables for the best results with TTL, so that's why I'm paying more attention to the specifics of these cables.

    Bogdan

  6.  

    Have you tried making them? This was discussed a couple of years ago and might be worth a search. You can buy the various component parts and the fibre cable. I've not tried it but it sounded simple......

    Hi TimG,

    Yeah, I've given that some thought but I learned from an engineer friend of mine who made his own and then went on a liveaboard trip to the Galapagos only to be struggling with inconsistent results the whole time. The trouble is that when you go somewhere for a week or two of diving, you value consistency. Were I to live in Florida let's say and dive whenever I wanted to I'd probably make my own and enjoy the challenge of perfecting them. But I'm hoping this is one less thing to worry about.

    Bogdan

  7. Fair enough Bogdan!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.