Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GH5 4k 4:2:2 @ 60p recorder monitor

Started by gearbow_36218 ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

GH5 4k 4:2:2 @ 60p recorder monitor

16 posts
  1. As we know 4:2:2 is limited to 30p but with the new recorder from Atamos we can record 4:2:2 at 60p ProRes!

     

    The only problem is I can not find any housing for the recorder.

     

    My option is a Canon 1DX Mark II at 3 times the cost to get into camera and housing along with a difficult to use codec out of camera increases my work flow difficulties.

     

    Recorders should become much more popular as the storage options for video footage are limited. If you count how many 128gb SD cards would be needed for long underwater footage a recorded becomes much less expensive and has so many extras that you get at a decent price.

     

    I'd like to find some manufacturer that is going to support the inferno. This thing has been out since March 2017 and we are bound to have many mire cameras coming down the pike at 4k 60p this year, so there is going to be a demand for these housings. 8f6884de7e3e344f5e848ffffa28ee9f.jpgc912fbed218724206ac238f24c49aa12.jpg

     

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  2. There is a housing for it

     

    The Nauticam NA-FLAME, I have one. :)

     

    5e1494b5474470e09087854f3610c1c7.jpg

    Edited by thetrickster
  3. As we know 4:2:2 is limited to 30p but with the new recorder from Atamos we can record 4:2:2 at 60p ProRes!

     

    The only problem is I can not find any housing for the recorder.

     

    My option is a Canon 1DX Mark II at 3 times the cost to get into camera and housing along with a difficult to use codec out of camera increases my work flow difficulties.

     

    Recorders should become much more popular as the storage options for video footage are limited. If you count how many 128gb SD cards would be needed for long underwater footage a recorded becomes much less expensive and has so many extras that you get at a decent price.

     

    I'd like to find some manufacturer that is going to support the inferno. This thing has been out since March 2017 and we are bound to have many mire cameras coming down the pike at 4k 60p this year, so there is going to be a demand for these housings. 8f6884de7e3e344f5e848ffffa28ee9f.jpgc912fbed218724206ac238f24c49aa12.jpg

     

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

    I recently researched monitors for my GH 5. While the Ninja Inferno was my first thought by the time I factored in the cost of housing and mounting hardware I couldn't justify the price for what you gain over GH5 internal recoding.

     

    Perhaps I will revise this opinion in the future and upgrade to Inferno in Nauticam for the reasona you mention. But for now have opted for a Small HD monitor.

     

    Apparently the Nauticam housing for the Shogun also works for the Inferno

     

    https://www.backscatter.com/Nauticam-NA-Shogun-Atomos-Shogun-Underwater-Housing

     

    Regards,

     

     

    Adam

     

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  4. I recently researched monitors for my GH 5. While the Ninja Inferno was my first thought by the time I factored in the cost of housing and mounting hardware I couldn't justify the price for what you gain over GH5 internal recoding.

     

    Perhaps I will revise this opinion in the future and upgrade to Inferno in Nauticam for the reasona you mention. But for now have opted for a Small HD monitor.

     

    Apparently the Nauticam housing for the Shogun also works for the Inferno

     

    https://www.backscatter.com/Nauticam-NA-Shogun-Atomos-Shogun-Underwater-Housing

     

    Regards,

     

     

    Adam

     

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

    Oops, misread the which Ninja model was on that link. Please ignore

     

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  5. Yeah the newer Inferno and Flame monitors are actually larger than the original Shogun, so don't fit.

     

    But I agree, they probably aren't worth the money just to obtain the 4K 60p @ 10bit.

     

    Its a fantastic monitor, yes and there maybe an increase image quality (very slight - to none existent) - but it makes your rig massive. I struggle with some boats with mine, as to where to put it.

     

    If I didn't have it for the GH4, where there is a good trade off for better image quality and bulk, i think recording internally and using SmallHD type screen would be a better option, but I have it, so not going to waste it - and yes SSDs are cheaper than the V90 cards at the moment, so that saves me from recording internally.

  6. There is a housing for it

     

    The Nauticam NA-FLAME, I have one. :)

     

    5e1494b5474470e09087854f3610c1c7.jpg

    Yeah the Flame is limited to 30p no?

     

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  7. Yeah the Flame is limited to 30p no?

     

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

    The units externally and operationally are exactly the same, so the Inferno works in this housing

     

     

    Regards - Richard

  8. The units externally and operationally are exactly the same, so the Inferno works in this housing

     

     

    Regards - Richard

    Are you serious! Great news! Thanks!

     

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  9. I have both a Flame and an Inferno.

    Apart from the color of the corners and the 4K@60 ability (due to having HDMI2.0a. (And the badge !) you can’t tell them apart.

     

     

    Regards - Richard

  10. Crazy how the monitor is just 600$ but the housing for it is over 4K, would have loved one for my gh4 but so not worth the price imo.

  11. If the rumor is true, the GH5S will be able to record 4K 60P 10 bits 150MBps Long. Of course it not as good as the propres that offer the Shogun inferno.

    So an monitor might be enough. I use a TVLogic monitor on Nauticam, it’s a bit bulky. The SmallHD seems to be much compact.

     

    Richard,

    Is your setup easy to handle?

    For wide angle it should be fine,how about shooting macro?

     

    Regards

    Claude

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  12. Easy to handle. Underwater Yes. On the boat etc. No. It’s a pain.

     

    I’ve got it pretty much neutral underwater and with the tripod legs, Macro is okay too (the little I’ve done with it anyway) but it for sure isn’t a small rig anymore.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Thanks for the feedback.

     

    For the ones looking at more affordable monitor option I noticed that Fisheye Japan, the Nauticam importer, is mentioning on their website (http://www.fisheye-jp.com/'> http://www.fisheye-jp.com/)that the housing for the smallHD focus is under development.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  14. Thanks for the feedback.

    For the ones looking at more affordable monitor option I noticed that Fisheye Japan, the Nauticam importer, is mentioning on their website that the housing for the smallHD focus is under development.

    these guys have listed it as well:

    https://fotografit.eu/products/195-nauticam/2392-na-focus-housing-for-smallhd-focus-5-inch-micro-hdmi-monitor/

     

    so it seems to be coming indeed. Nice little monitor which I use on land for my GH5

    Edited by bubffm
  15. So smallhd 501 vs smallhd focus?

    Think we will be able to change stuff on the screen when it's in the housing seeing as it's only touch screen? Doubtfully.

    If we can it would be a 500 ish dollar cheaper setup than the smallhd 501 (provided the housings are the same price)

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

    Edited by Pajjpen
  16. There is a housing for it

     

    The Nauticam NA-FLAME, I have one. :)

     

    5e1494b5474470e09087854f3610c1c7.jpg

     

     

     

    I want this set up!! But how does Nauticam justify the price of this monitor housing....Wow!!!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.