Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon command dials need waking with a tap on shutter.

Started by PeteAtkinson ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon command dials need waking with a tap on shutter.

5 posts
  1. Info for Nikon D750, D800, 810, 850 owners... I was always irritated by having to dab the shutter release to activate the command dials to change shutter speed and aperture. Matija Kljunak on the D850 Facebook page came up with a solution I didn't know about, namely:

     

    "The solution was in custom settings. Using this setting the problem went away and now I can change the aperture immediately after shooting:

    Custom Settings>Controls>f4 Customise Command Dials>Menus and Playback>On(Image review excluded)."

     

    On the D800 it's f9 and the D750 it's f5.

  2. Great tip Pete!

     

    It works on D500 too.

     

    Can someone try it on the D4/D5 too please?

     

    Adam

  3. yes on D4s: f10

  4. Just checked this out and both "On (Image Review Excluded)" and "Off" - the default setting - allow me to immediately change aperture/ss after shooting. The only one that doesn't is the plain "On" setting, which reassigns the command dials to scroll through photos during image review.

     

    Of course you have to tap the shutter to reactivate the dials once the meter goes into standby, usually 6secs default on Nikons. That setting under timers is called either "Auto Meter-Off Delay" (D700, D800) or "Standby Timer" (D810), all are setting C2.

     

    Granted being able to scroll though images with the dials in playback mode (but not during auto image review) would be much easier than the d-pad on the housing so I'm gonna try it out.

     

    Though perhaps I'm missing that people already set that for UW to begin with and this new "On (Image Review Excluded)" mode fixed an unintended consequence (that option doesn't exist on D700).

     

    Chris

    Edited by Undertow
  5. I really like this setting option, thanks for sharing.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.