Skip to content

Classifieds / Archived topic

Wanted: Sony PXW-Z100 in Gates Housing

Started by gearbow_36218 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Wanted: Sony PXW-Z100 in Gates Housing

11 posts
  1. I am looking to get into a professional 4k 60fps 4:2:2 video rig. Please help with suggestions also. I do not have permissions to post in professional classified maybe a admin can help also? PXW-Z100_banner.jpg

     

    z100-fl-6wx150dpi-w.jpg

  2. Thats a hell of a beast :-) Unfortunately Gates does not produce this housing anymore afaik.

  3. Thats a hell of a beast :-) Unfortunately Gates does not produce this housing anymore afaik.

    I know that's a bummer. It can shoot 400mbits a second 4k 60fps and 20x zoom lens! I wonder why nobody supports this. There is nothing like this out there that has these specs without higher price tag and detacachable lenses. You would think a replacement would be on the horizon like the ax100 we keep waiting and waiting. Very frustrating as it seems there's a new camera update every year.

     

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  4. Have you considered going with a Sony A7SII with a ATOMOS Shogun. Nauticam makes an excellent housing for both and it would be a smaller rig. In addition you could have the versatility of switching to macro as well. The other avenue is getting into a RED system.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. I am looking to get into a professional 4k 60fps 4:2:2 video rig. Please help with suggestions also. I do not have permissions to post in professional classified maybe a admin can help also? PXW-Z100_banner.jpg

     

    z100-fl-6wx150dpi-w.jpg

    Also, when looking at cameras for underwater video, you really need something that does low light well. Unfortunately the Z100 isn't the best camera for low light shooting. If you went the route with a DSLR like the Sony A7SII which does shoot 4K but at 420 then you would have to add an external recorder like the Atomos Shogun to get the 422 you desire. The upside is it doubles as an external monitor. I have shot 4K on the A7SII without a Shogun, in caves and I was impressed by the low light capabilities.

    For most shooting underwater you can get away with a 16-35 lens. Sony has excellent autofocus with the Vario Tessar lens. The one draw back of course is you have to switch your lens to do macro. . Most underwater shots are the epic wides anyway and with the 16-35 you can get decent close up shots.

     

    It is hard to find and all in one underwater video camera setup that handles macro, wides and low light all in one package. I have gone through many camera setups over the years and really enjoy using the A7SII, and Nauticam is the best housing I have ever used. If you do go this direction PM me and I can give you some tips on using the camera underwater. If you do get a Nauticam definitely get the vacuum seal.

     

    Here are an approximation of costs:

    Sony A7SII $2400

    Sony 16-35 lens $1200

    Atomos Shogun $1300

    Nauticam Housing with Dome port plus vacuum seal $4600

    Nauticam Housing for Shogun $5000.

    Kraken Hydra 5000 lights $600 per

     

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. Also, when looking at cameras for underwater video, you really need something that does low light well. Unfortunately the Z100 isn't the best camera for low light shooting. If you went the route with a DSLR like the Sony A7SII which does shoot 4K but at 420 then you would have to add an external recorder like the Atomos Shogun to get the 422 you desire. The upside is it doubles as an external monitor. I have shot 4K on the A7SII without a Shogun, in caves and I was impressed by the low light capabilities.

    For most shooting underwater you can get away with a 16-35 lens. Sony has excellent autofocus with the Vario Tessar lens. The one draw back of course is you have to switch your lens to do macro. . Most underwater shots are the epic wides anyway and with the 16-35 you can get decent close up shots.

     

    It is hard to find and all in one underwater video camera setup that handles macro, wides and low light all in one package. I have gone through many camera setups over the years and really enjoy using the A7SII, and Nauticam is the best housing I have ever used. If you do go this direction PM me and I can give you some tips on using the camera underwater. If you do get a Nauticam definitely get the vacuum seal.

     

    Here are an approximation of costs:

    Sony A7SII $2400

    Sony 16-35 lens $1200

    Atomos Shogun $1300

    Nauticam Housing with Dome port plus vacuum seal $4600

    Nauticam Housing for Shogun $5000.

    Kraken Hydra 5000 lights $600 per

     

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

     

    Dang that recorder housing is sooo pricey!!! Hoping the new GH5S announcement in a few days has some low light capability improvements along with 4k 60 fps 4:2:2 internal. that way i can just pick up a monitor rather than the recorder at much cheaper price. Thanks for the lens suggesting on the sony I was actually hoping the A7S III would be announced and released before the GH5s but it doesn't look good. Any Panasonic guys have a video lens suggestion for The GH series? This would be video only with movement.

    Edited by gearbow_36218
  7. Honestly I'd never use a Sony for video, ever.. Simply because Sony colors are horrible compared to most other brands.

    I'm using the gh4 with the panasonic 7-14mm, Olympus 60mm, panasonic 12-35 and the panasonic 14-42 PZ.

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

  8.  

    Dang that recorder housing is sooo pricey!!! Hoping the new GH5S announcement in a few days has some low light capability improvements along with 4k 60 fps 4:2:2 internal. that way i can just pick up a monitor rather than the recorder at much cheaper price. Thanks for the lens suggesting on the sony I was actually hoping the A7S III would be announced and released before the GH5s but it doesn't look good. Any Panasonic guys have a video lens suggestion for The GH series? This would be video only with movement.

    That is a great camera as well. I switched from Canon to Sony for a few reasons that are lengthy to discuss. But here is some footage from a cave in Tulum I shot with the Sony A7SIi internal 4K. It was my first time using the camera and first time using Slog3 , so I didn’t have the exposure down perfect.
  9.  

    Dang that recorder housing is sooo pricey!!! Hoping the new GH5S announcement in a few days has some low light capability improvements along with 4k 60 fps 4:2:2 internal. that way i can just pick up a monitor rather than the recorder at much cheaper price. Thanks for the lens suggesting on the sony I was actually hoping the A7S III would be announced and released before the GH5s but it doesn't look good. Any Panasonic guys have a video lens suggestion for The GH series? This would be video only with movement.

    Also, I can’t emphasize enough how important low light ability is in a camera. From what I have seen about the new GH5 it doesn’t have the same abilities as the Sony A7SII. Which ever camera you end up going with take a hard look at the low light. No matter what quality of 4K you get won’t make a difference if it doesn’t handle low light. Another user had some issues with color on Sony for Video. I would take a look at the Slog3 because it gives you a lot of control in color in post. Also what is the end result for your footage. Do you really need 4:2:2?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Also, I can’t emphasize enough how important low light ability is in a camera. From what I have seen about the new GH5 it doesn’t have the same abilities as the Sony A7SII. Which ever camera you end up going with take a hard look at the low light. No matter what quality of 4K you get won’t make a difference if it doesn’t handle low light. Another user had some issues with color on Sony for Video. I would take a look at the Slog3 because it gives you a lot of control in color in post. Also what is the end result for your footage. Do you really need 4:2:2?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Why is low light ability so important for underwater video? I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to push the ISO to 3200 underwater. And pretty much every camera from the past few years can handle ISO 1600 just fine. But you'll be shooting in the ISO 100-800 range most of the time anyway. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many people that agree with you that low light capabilities are more important than good white balance/color reproduction. There's a whole thread discussing the limitations of Sony mirrorless cameras underwater in the video forum.

     

    Advising people to shoot in Slog3 underwater is also quite questionable, especially on a camera that records in an 8-bit h.264 codec. Log encoding doesn't give you more control of color in post. It preserves more highlight/shadow detail. In actuality, you have less color information to work with and banding become an issue much more quickly when working with 8-bit encoded log.

  11. Why is low light ability so important for underwater video? I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to push the ISO to 3200 underwater. And pretty much every camera from the past few years can handle ISO 1600 just fine. But you'll be shooting in the ISO 100-800 range most of the time anyway. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many people that agree with you that low light capabilities are more important than good white balance/color reproduction. There's a whole thread discussing the limitations of Sony mirrorless cameras underwater in the video forum.

     

    Advising people to shoot in Slog3 underwater is also quite questionable, especially on a camera that records in an 8-bit h.264 codec. Log encoding doesn't give you more control of color in post. It preserves more highlight/shadow detail. In actuality, you have less color information to work with and banding become an issue much more quickly when working with 8-bit encoded log.

    Granted, if you are primarily shooting shallow with good light on a sunny day then low light capabilities aren't as important. I primarily shoot in caves, wrecks below 200 FSW, and at night. In these types of environments low light comes into play, especially if you are shooting in caves with goethite. Cave shoots require a lot of silhouettes on a wide 16-35. I have experimented with several profiles on the Sony A7SII, and I am extremely impressed with Slog3 in these type of conditions. I haven't experienced any banding. It does takes extra time in post to grade but I am happy with the results. I don't recommend Slog3 for every application, I merely suggested to the OP to look into it, since he had switched his focus to a DSLR and was doing research. Of course white balance is important. As far as Sony A7SII, I am very satisfied with the results underwater, and it is a low light monster. I have shot on numerous camera rigs, and have yet to find one that is perfect and without limitations. If you do please inform me.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.