Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fantasea A6500 Housing

Started by Grug ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Fantasea A6500 Housing

2 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

    My first proper post here.

    It appears Santa knows I've been good, for goodness' sake this year. Because all this just arrived:
    R9AmROK.jpg
    JIig70I.jpg
    **Soup can for size reference, this whole rig (sans strobes) only weighs 3.9kg!
    beMK6jX.jpg
    ifKiehH.jpg
    It's the Fantasea A6500 Housing, with Sony 10-18mm, 50mm Macro, and 20mm + Fisheye Converter.
    Tray and handles are the Sealife Flex Connect system, which I love in theory, but am a bit worried about in practice - I'm not sure how well they'll handle full-sized strobes. I was told they'll be fine, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's used them with proper strobes before. I'm wondering whether (even if they can't hold the strobes up on-land) they'll fare alright underwater where the strobes are more neutrally buoyant?
    I'm particularly excited about the size and weight of the setup, it really is quite tiny compared to a regular DSLR housing. Only 3.9kg as setup in this photo.
    If anyone else is currently shooting with the Fantasea setup, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Any tips on how to get the best from it, or issues to look out for would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
  2. Congrats on the setup!

    Looks great!

    The Sealife arms will be ok underwater, but probably won't hold up the strobes above water.

    That's fine because most flex arms aren't meant to hold strobes up above the water.

    Just make sure you fold it up nicely before going back on the boat after a dive, so it doesn't smash into the dome when the boat crew picks it up.

     

    I wrote a review on the FA6500, maybe it'll give you some insights and help you get started:

    http://www.housingcamera.com/blog/product-reviews/sony-a6500-underwater-review-fantasea-fa6500-housing

    It's an amazing housing and great camera, I was very happy with this setup.

     

    Good luck and happy dives!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.