Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Converting a wet dome port to a dry dome port

Started by longbord1 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Converting a wet dome port to a dry dome port

3 posts
  1. So obviously a wet dome port is designed that way for a reason. However, what if someone doesn't care about the ability to place the dome port underwater. Is there anyway to convert a wet dome port into a dry dome port?

     

    Main reasoning is because I'm more of a freediver, so I won't really be hanging out deep underwater for the majority of my photographs and I figure it will help with split shots. Will be shooting with a canon g12 in an ikelite housing with a WD-4 WA conversion lens.

     

    Would it be wrong to "seal" this lens onto the housing, or will this lens not work at all without water inside of it?

     

    Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question. Can't find any information elsewhere.

    Edited by longbord1
  2. My main concern would be how much pressure could the wet lens withstand. If you do a good enough job plugging the small hole that lets in water, then at depth there would be much more pressure on the acrylic port and walls. It may not have been designed to handle that pressure, specially if you plan on freediving deep.

     

    I would think that the optics would change without water but I'm not sure. That's one thing that could easily be tested in a pool.

  3. Just wanted to report back. I purchased some aquarium silicone at the hardware store and actually sealed the dome port onto the ikelite housing. There were no leaks, optics were not harmed, and it allowed me to get some pretty sweet split shots!! It also preserved the wide angle nature of the camera.

     

    So anyone else wondering, this is very doable. I've only tested with silicone/housing down to 30 feet as I am a freediver.

     

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fifinator/24496812007/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

     

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fifinator/38478381975/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

     

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fifinator/38464734395/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

    Edited by longbord1

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.