Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 24mm F1.4 II behind Ikelite 8" dome

Started by Chris Kippax ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 24mm F1.4 II behind Ikelite 8" dome

2 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I am wondering if anyone has experience using the Canon 24mm F1.4 II behind the Ikelite 8" dome? How does it perform? Is the image sharpness and IQ excellent? How is corner sharpness?

    Is it wide enough for reef scapes and large pelagics or will it always be a compromise? Will be using it on a Full Frame camera

    Thanks for your replies.

    Edited by Chris Kippax
  2. One month without response, I'm sorry.

    I've experience with similar equipment: Sigma 24/1.4 ART in Sea&Sea Housing behind the 240 S&S Dome port (quite different by your 8" dome) mounting the correction lens Sea&Sea CL 77. This is the reason which my experience is less interesting for you (I suppose). I've used 40mm extension ring on my MDX-D800 housing, which is the true important gear to achieve the best possible sharpness corner.

     

    In any case my results was very good, but the 24mm DOF is less extended than a very wide lenses, so there are a lot of limitations like in the picture below where despite of f/13 the right side foreground is out of focus.

     

    28_SAR_0728.jpg

     

    For this reason I prefer 18-17 wide on full frame camera 'cause thy offer wider DOF very useful in this kind of picture.

     

    28_SAR_1749.jpga 18mm shot :bye:

    Edited by vbpress
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.