One bonus you mentioned is that you put in a vacuum port, so you can confirm the seal on any plug you fit. Nauticam seems to change the port layout from model to model and even over time, so be sure the strobe bulkheads are indeed M16.
My housing came with the Nikonos bulkhead in place, but the P.O. provided the plugs for the ports so I was able to remove the bulkhead and plug the port when I went to optical sync.
However, it took me quite a bit of digging, and eventually measuring things to find my right port (viewed from the back) was M14 (Nikonos bulkhead) and the left port (hydrophone) was M16. Made for a bit of a decision when I bought my Leak Sentinel. I ended up using the M16 port as that leaves my M14 free to put the bulkhead back if I want wired strobes again.
<edit> I removed the Nikonos bulkhead when I went optical rather than leave it in simply because there's not a lot of space in the housing, and the wires tended to get in the way unless I plugged in the hot shoe plug. I figured I'd rather just have it all out as I can verify the port plug integrity quite well with the Leak Sentinel.
It sure beats having to leave the housing in a tub of water for extended periods just to be sure nothing you did causes a leak!